Hazmat Training with Drone Capabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We shot some footage with our drone during some local Hazmat training and thought we would share. The chiefts present were chomping at the bit to start buying these from us. I figured I would share in case anyone else was wondering what you could use these for.

We had a live feed going into the EOC, so they saw everything as it happened. Here is a quick clip, if anyone wants the unedited version, let me know.

http://vimeo.com/user5466695/review/110032451/7f6e46f2bf

Impressive footage...good example of how they can give a look that is otherwise impossible...and without risking a responder.

In your description, change "turing" to "during" "Drone test capabilities turing"

Thanks for sharing that.

Impressive footage...good example of how they can give a look that is otherwise impossible...and without risking a responder.

In your description, change "turing" to "during" "Drone test capabilities turing"

Thanks for sharing that.

Ha ha...thanks, I just fixed the spelling error :wink:

Ya, it was a really cool training excercise. We have some other footage of swiftwater training, but it was at night, and not as cool as it could be with the darkness.

We have been waiting to add drone capabilities in our county for a while now, but current FAA rules prohibit it for any type of commercial use without a difficult to obtain waiver. It's such a shame as I have several drones that could have been massive time savers in some recent searches.

Last edited:
We have been waiting to add drone capabilities in our county for a while now, but current FCC rules prohibit it for any type of commercial use without a difficult to obtain waiver. It's such a shame as I have several drones that could have been massive time savers in some recent searches.

Its only commercial use if you are charging someone for the work you do. If you area rescue team, that's not considered commercial use.

It does not seem logical to me either, however the FAA considers search and rescue to be commercial use. There was recently a high profile search and rescue case in Texas, I believe, where the FAA granted an emergency waiver to allow the use of a couple of drones brought in from Maryland to help out. The Austin Texas Fire Dept is actually currently going through the process of obtaining the FAA Certificate of Authorization, so I am watching that closely to see how it works out. I have several local jurisdictions interested in drones awaiting the outcome of their application.

This website should clarify any misconceptions : https://www.faa.gov/uas/

On another note, do you have any of the new Inspire 1's on order?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom