HD1200 Flash sync issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrJRapp

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
previously posted this elsewhere but I'm bringing it out to its own thread

I purchased an HD 1200 this week and I think the camera is great, at least conceptually.

I haven't had the camera in the water yet, but I have been using it on land to get familiar with all the controls and features before taking it on a dive.

My problem is syncing with my existing Sealife 960 Flash. The Sealife is configured to fire as a slave when it sees the flash of the camera. I've used the camera both in and out of the housing. The flash works well when out of the housing but when in the housing pictures of the same subject come out dark...really dark, even though the slave flash is firing! It appears as if the housing is either causing the camera to cut off the shutter before the external flash fires, or delaying the light getting to the slave so that it fires after the shutter closes.

I've tried both with the diffuser in place and with it retracted...same issue.

My dealer is clueless.....his answer is that I need to buy a mega expensive Sea & Sea external flash unit....from them..of course! I don't believe this is the only solution. Perhaps there is a universal fiber optic sync cord that can marry the two. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Spent this afternoon on the phone with Jim from Sea & Sea and we really don't have an answer yet why the pix are so dark. It appears that my external strobe is firing ahead of the camera for whatever reason.

I invested in an Intova ISS2000 and it seems to work just fine. Older flash units designed for Analog (film) film camers don't seem to work because of the preflash(es) that digital cameras use for ranging and exposure.

DrJRapp,

I don't believe it's a problem with the preflash, according to your description it looks like the fiber optic cable is not aimed right to the camera flash.

Thanks for your reply..it did turn out to be the preflash. took some videos with another camera of the flases firing off...the 960 was firing before the cameras main shoot.

As I said in my last post... the intova flash with it's adjustable preflash control works great when preflash control is set on 2 .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom