Headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great response guys. I will work on my breathing more. I did have a problem equaling on that last dive. I thought that it may be from not wearing the hood on that dive. I felt vertigo, yet the headache overruled all the other stuff that was going on. Now that people have explained skip breathing I did do that on the last dive because I got a hot fill and went in with 2400 psi in an 80 Al tank. I thought it may save a bit of air. Wont do that agian. I now realize what I did and will really work on a rhythmic breathing pattern. Crazy as it sounds it's not in my open water book and I don't remember if my instructor even mentioned it..... thanks very much

I now realize what I did and will really work on a rhythmic breathing pattern. Crazy as it sounds it's not in my open water book and I don't remember if my instructor even mentioned it . . . thanks very much
Sounds as though your instructor/dive center could use some constructive feedback. The basic open water diver course should always emphasize breathing normally and fully, regardless of remaining pressure, and never being shy about signaling to your buddy/dm/instructor that you're low.

Thanks for the great response guys. I will work on my breathing more. I did have a problem equaling on that last dive. I thought that it may be from not wearing the hood on that dive. I felt vertigo, yet the headache overruled all the other stuff that was going on. Now that people have explained skip breathing I did do that on the last dive because I got a hot fill and went in with 2400 psi in an 80 Al tank. I thought it may save a bit of air. Wont do that agian. I now realize what I did and will really work on a rhythmic breathing pattern. Crazy as it sounds it's not in my open water book and I don't remember if my instructor even mentioned it..... thanks very much

How long did it take for the vertigo to go away?

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks guys, what's skip breathing? It was a lake dive and we're were just swimming through pvc obstacles. Nothing super crazy. If it was co2 retention what is the best way to not retain it.

Hello Dan,

You already got some great advice on how to avoid CO2 retention.
There is one more thing that was not mentioned: Exercise (aerobic). A fit diver will retain less because he/she will be able to manage increased work-loads better.

Hey everyone just an update. After reading all the suggestions and the recommendations, and practicing them I have not had a headache since. I was wondering though if anyone knows where I can find a portable co checker for cheap?

DD28,

I'm going against conventional wisdom and dangerously close to suggesting that one hold one's breath for three seconds, (DON'T) but I've experienced the same symptoms early on in my diving. It is possible that you are hypoventilating by taking in shallow breaths that don't flush your lungs. Very easy to overcome. And yes, I skip breathe at times...

atelectasis read the "Yawn" part...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom