Headed to morehead city! Tips? Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok well nice to meet you too.

I love the Internet for many reasons, laughing at stuff like this is just one of those many reasons.

It is dumb. I haven't even met this guy and were diving next week. Lets keep diving fun shall we

lol... i'm going to hang out at olympus just to see if i can pick him out....lol..

sounds like you have all the dice stuff covered. I live a few blocs from olympus and can give you some good advise on restaurants and night life.

heck, depending on what day you dice, i may even be on the boat with ya...

It is dumb. I haven't even met this guy and were diving next week. Lets keep diving fun shall we
I think you are going to have an 'interesting' week. Right now, I want you to take your left hand, and slap your right wrist, sharply. And, next week, whatever you do, stay in line, no talking, do exactly what you are told, and have your papers ready for inspection at a moment's notice. :)
yardpro:
lol... i'm going to hang out at olympus just to see if i can pick him out....lol..
Ya think? I wouldn't bet against your doing that, fairly easily.
wmason11:
Headed there in about a week. any knowledge of the area and things to know from you all who have dove there is welcomed!
OK, on a serious note, I expect the trip leader will email the informational material provided at the pre-trip. My thoughts on NC coastal diving (based on my pet peeves as much as anything): 1) general NC boat diving etiquette: Many people come to the coast, possibly with limited boat diving experience, and bring every piece of scuba gear they own, ON THE BOAT. Please do not do that. Space is usually limited, so bring ONLY what you need (and what you actually need is probably only 50% of what you think you need) and pack it in a way that allows you to assemble your rig quickly and efficiently; 2) expect to be both thrilled and disappointed by the experience. Conditions can change overnight (actually during the course of a dive). Even if your group has a plan - i.e. you are going to wrecks A, B, C, and D, and Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri - don't count on it. You will go - if weather allows you to go out at all - where the captain decides you will go, based on sea conditions, current, visibility reports, etc; So, if you come here with your heart set on diving a U-boat, and it doesn't happen, don't let it bother you, that is just life; 3) diving out of Hatteras a week ago, about 20+ miles out, the surface water temps were in the lower 70s, and there was a thermocline around 30-40 feet, and the temps dropped to the high 60s, and the water was clear and blue. I don't know what you use for exposure protection, but I wouldn't expect 'tropical'. I don't know what the passage of the tropical storm has done to conditions.

Last edited:
the conditions have gone to crap...

last weekend was 20 feet vis offshore and 5 feet on inshore wrecks... doubt it will improve much as it was need windy and nasty since.

Looks like that group will not encounter the perfect conditions everyone has been raving about. Weather should be nice after today.. 90's and sunny...

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 04:29 PM ----------

further report on the conditions...

seas are 8-10.. it is rough enough that only a few boars went out for the big rock blue marlin tournament... that is a BIG money tournament, costing about $35k to fish. prize money is in the 6 figure range (with the calcutta, it goes into the 7 figure). These guys have 40-60 foot plus boats and are pretty hardcore... for them to lay out.. it is rough

Back
Top Bottom