Heading to Thailand, Maybe Phuket, Need Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tia--you mention a desire for a quiet place to stay. The advice to avoid Patong is exactly right; Karon and Kata are both quieter, but still busy tourist centers which are quite crowded during the year-end rush. My vote for a quiet area on Phuket itself is Nai Harn, and super quiet is Ao Sane. Khao Lak is recovering, but it's not on the island (not that it really makes much difference). If you are looking for a short liveaboard option, that may be the way to go.

Tia, before or after your Liveaboard cruise also consider the local shore or longtail boat dives off Kata and Karon beaches if you do not want to spend the entire day out and just want to get your gills wet. These sites are not indicative of the best that Thailand has to offer but they are certainly well worth it with lots of the smaller marine life to see. Max depth 18 meters and nice, easy relaxing dives.

Whatever you decide have a great holiday!
Chantal

Thanks for all the info guys; it's a great help. Sifting through it all now.

Any resources for getting reviews on Phuket live-aboards? I think were going to go a bit more upmarket. I can do bare bones hotels but I think a boat version would give me cabin fever.

Thanks again,

Ron + Shal

PS - TIA = Thanks in Advance :wink:

squib:
Ron + Shal

PS - TIA = Thanks in Advance :wink:

:knocked-o That's funny. My kids are always teasing me that I use so many web acronyms they can't keep up, but this time I was caught out!

squib:
Any resources for getting reviews on Phuket live-aboards? I think were going to go a bit more upmarket. I can do bare bones hotels but I think a boat version would give me cabin fever.
Yeah, this can be true especially with the budget boats, but there are mid-priced ones with attached bathrooms, no quads (or sharing with strangers), and plenty of deck space. And then there are the top-end boats. For mid-priced and top-end options, think about whether you would be willing to consider a longer trip. Most Similans trips on "better" boats will be longer than 3 days. An alternative would be a shorter trip down to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang--commonly two nights.

As for resources, many of the bigger booking agencies do have comparative listings. You will also have to compare between the various agency websites, though, because while there is considerable overlap in the boats the diffferent agencies sell, not all options are found on any one website. If you prefer to make your bookings directly, on your own without an agent, just give yourself plenty of time and patience to do the digging; simply google "phuket liveaboard".

Thx Quero!

Yes looks like it will be a 4 day/night trip as that is the shortest common Similan trip.

actaully if you look at the like of the south siam boats you can do 1 day upwards in the similans for as long as you like as the boats stay there and you are transferred from Thap Lamu by speed boat rather than the actual liveaboard itself returning to to port.

There boats are in the "mid range" as far as both prices and amenities go but very flexible due to the speed boat transfers.

Back
Top Bottom