HEADS UP: 10 lions for a bug = MUST HAVE PHOTO!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Needed to call attention and get a unique twist to this new rule out there so divers don't get busted over mini-season. This isn't widely known and most of the media has ignored publishing the details.

Many of the mini season lobster hunters have heard of the lionfish incentive program that the FWC approved last month for mini-season. Catch 10 or more lionfish each day and you are allowed to catch one additional lobster over your limit each of the 2 mini-season days. The executive order EO-15-16 was recently published here:

http://myfwc.com/media/3073280/EO-15-16.pdf

But there is a NEW REQUIREMENT that most don't know about. It states:

c. While off the water and in possession of spiny lobster in excess that allowed by the recreational possession limits specified in 68B-24, FAC, the harvester of the spiny lobster must either retain the qualifying lionfish in whole condition or possess a photograph of him or herself with the qualifying lionfish to verify lionfish harvest.

In order to not get busted for over your limit on the 1st or 2nd day you must have photographic proof of EACH DAY's 10 lionfish or have all the whole lionfish in your possession. Remember ALL fish caught in our waters must be landed in whole condition in Florida. All other rules including 2 day limits on boat apply just like always.

The example would be on the 2nd mini-season day, both tailing your bugs and filleting your lionfish at the dock ramp and then tossing them in your truck cooler while getting stopped by an officer in the ramp parking lot. He looks in your cooler to see 2 tails over limit and asks for your 2 photographs of whole 10 lionfish with date code (EXIF) to satisfy the over limit and you don't have the photos actually on your person. You should take a picture each day with YOUR OWN PHONE for proof.

Interesting & Unique questions like “can you use the same picture for each day” OR ” can I take a picture of my friends lionfish” are probably answered best by you emailing FWC directly, print the answer you receive and post it on here for everyone to learn from. By the 2nd day of mini-season, most officers have had enough and will give you just as much courtesy as you provide them.

If you ask me, I'd have my face with atleast 10 lions easily laid out to see on the boat deck (not on a stringer) with MY FACE in the picture as well, to get in my truck & on my way as quick as possible. Your mileage may vary depending how agitated the officer is that stops you.

Like I said above, a lot of people don't know about the new photo rule. I'm just trying to help bring to light some new rules that you may not be aware of and help you avoid something unfortunate.

Take 2 layout pictures to make it easy and be safe over mini-season, Dive Alive !!

P.S. Feel free to copy and paste a link or this entire post anywhere to get the word out so no one gets busted..... #Got2LFphotos

attachment.php

Attachments

• juplionsm.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 261
thanks for the info...it just seams so complicated for one extra lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom