Health in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
something to bear in mind..

I'm just back from the hospital having had chest x-rays and blood tests for schistosomiasis and malaria. I now have to wait til tommorow at least to know anything.

I was stupid, I didn't take any anti-malarial prevention on the basis of cost.. actually, I was damn stupid.

If anyone is going to thailand or anywhere else where health risks are a consideration I'd deff recommend bein a bit more sensible than I was and paying for proper preventative treatment.. in the long run, I promise you will be glad you did.

DORSETBOY:

I'm just back from the hospital having had chest x-rays and blood tests for schistosomiasis and malaria. I now have to wait til tommorow at least to know anything.

I was stupid, I didn't take any anti-malarial prevention on the basis of cost.. actually, I was damn stupid.

If anyone is going to thailand or anywhere else where health risks are a consideration I'd deff recommend bein a bit more sensible than I was and paying for proper preventative treatment.. in the long run, I promise you will be glad you did.

Where exactly did you visit?

I'd be interested to know where you were too. I've been to Thailand a fair few times and been bitten by many a mozzie ( I seem to be high on their menu) but never got anything more than an itch

Anyways, hope you start to feel better soon

Surprised to hear that..

I've been in Thailand 5 years and gave always thought there was no risk of Malaria here, though I did once get a mild dose of Dengue (and was glad it was only mild).

Were you way out in the jungle or something?

I heard that if you drink a few beer Changs every night, the mozzies won't bite you...

lol, I've heard that too about chang! I was on Tao virtually all of the time, brief bit up in pattaya, also bk and phuket / similans... doc suspects malaria on the basis that I'm fine most of the time but the symptoms flare up every 2-3 months. Don't think it qualifies as jungle as such but did go treking a few times a week in the forests around the peaks on Tao. Personally, I don't think it's likely to be malaria as I know of only a few cases on Tao and I think most of those were from travellers arriving from elsewhere.

Schistosomiasis Japanicum unfortunately is fairly common in several countries inc Thailand but I don't know much about it at all really.

DORSETBOY:

as far as i know there is no malaria prophylaxis or prevention tablets/shots. i only no of lariam, but that's only after you have malaria symptoms and i wouldn't self diagnose. so personally i don't think it's worth buying it since you'll want to see a doctor anyway. and unless you somewhere deep in the jungle where it will take you days to a week to see a doctor, i'd go for local medicine if you have insurance and get treated there. i'm pretty sure that a country which has malaria cases will also have the right medication and experience.

underwater daphne:
as far as i know there is no malaria prophylaxis or prevention tablets/shots. i only no of lariam, but that's only after you have malaria symptoms..

Actually, larium is a preventative drug but it's not 100% effective. They also give it to you once you get infected only at a higher dose. However, better choices include doxycycline and malarone. Doxy has some issues and malarone is unavailable in asia and it's very expensive.

I'll be surprised if it's malaria on the islands. Never head of that before. There's definitely some up near Pai and Chiang Rai although I spent 6 weeks up there and kept my doxy in my backpack.

What are your symptoms Dorset boy? Is it like the flu? Keep us informed on your diagnosis. I hope you feel better.

Prone to fever and being completed knackered every 2-3 months, almost like clockwork.

you could have something else. unfortunately our medicine is often at lost when it comes to tropical illnesses. hope you get well soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom