Healthiest reefs, most fish dive sites in Andaman Sea, Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a Similians liveaboard for November or December. I've been reading about poor reef health and lack of fish in Thailand. Has anyone dove in the Andaman sea from 2016 to present and can comment on which sites are healthiest? Are Burma/Myanmar sites more dead then Thai sites? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm planning a liveaboard for November or December. I've been reading about poor reef health and lack of fish in Thailand. Has anyone dive in the Andaman sea from 2016 to present and can comment on which sites are healthiest? Are Burma/Myanmar sites more dead then Thai sites? Thanks.
Dont know where you read that, but they're wrong. At all sites an abundance of fish, which includes local Phuketb sites like King Cruiser and Shark Point.

Having said that, I have yet to see the first reports of this year about Similans, Surin, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa, which have only opened up 2 days ago.

I did my AOW on a dive trip to Phuket/Simalan/Phi Phi 29 years ago and was unimpressed by the marine life then. The best site then was Shark Point which had Leopard Sharks.

I did my Self Reliant Diver course in Phuket (Racha islands) a couple of months ago and was still unimpressed by the marine life. Note that my recent experience of diving in phuket is limited to 5 dives over 2 days. I had the opportunity to dive a third day but chose not to.

I was told that there was a whale shark at one of the Racha islands the week before my course, so there may be an element of luck involved as well.

I did my AOW on a dive trip to Phuket/Simalan/Phi Phi 29 years ago and was unimpressed by the marine life then. The best site then was Shark Point which had Leopard Sharks.

I did my Self Reliant Diver course in Phuket (Racha islands) a couple of months ago and was still unimpressed by the marine life. Note that my recent experience of diving in phuket is limited to 5 dives over 2 days. I had the opportunity to dive a third day but chose not to.

I was told that there was a whale shark at one of the Racha islands the week before my course, so there may be an element of luck involved as well.
Any dive at King Cruiser I can hide behind the fish, barracuda, snapper, and nobody can see me anymore. Phi Phi Bida Nok, maybe a bit less but also lots of them everywhere with big schools.

Yes, Racha islands, especially Racha Noi, is not very prolific in amount of sealife. Upcoming months will not be the best for Racha, with diving on the west side, east side is better.

This year which area has more healthy reefs and more life:
anadaman sea south: Hin Daeng, Hin Muang & Koh Ha etc.
Or Anadaman North, Similan Islands, Richelieu Rock & Surin, etc

Just did a liveaboard in north andaman sea and the coral is recovering still from the 2010 bleaching but overall decent. The sea life is quite abundant w/ schools in the thousands nearly everywhere. Not a ton of larger life to be seen. Saw a few octopi, cuddle fish, only one stingray and turtle and a few other 1-2' creatures. It was nice but I'm not planning to make the 20+ hour trip here again when diving in certain caribbean areas is nicer IMO.

Combination of bleaching and over tourism is affecting Similans. Very limited marine life.
Yes, there has been bleaching, quite a few years ago now and the effects are diminishing every day, and yes, over tourism was a problem. Also that is being worked on by the way.
But 'very limited marine life' no, have to disagree with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom