Healthway Cylinders HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering buying a pair of 3AA2250 Healthway 72s to double up but a friend of mine advised against it because some of the 72s had a liner that degrades with time. Is this true for the Healthways? Is this something that can be removed with a tumbling or is it something that requires periodic service?

I am considering buying a pair of 3AA2250 Healthway 72s to double up but a friend of mine advised against it because some of the 72s had a liner that degrades with time. Is this true for the Healthways? Is this something that can be removed with a tumbling or is it something that requires periodic service?

Those cylinders must be 40+ years old.

I worked at Healthways in the early 70's.

They have been out of biss for many years.

Those cylinders must be 40+ years old.

I worked at Healthways in the early 70's.

They have been out of biss for many years.

There is no issue with the age. I have cylinders from the 50s which pass hydro every five years with no issue.

There were some 72s which were produced with liners. The liner can be tumbled out. I do have a Healthways 72 which does not have a liner. I don't know if they are all that way.

I believe only USD tanks were lined. Yes, they can be tumbled out, but may not need to have this done, depending on (if a liner is there) its condition. 71.2s are great tanks. They can last a life time. Those that tell you that they are out of "bliss" probably want to sell you an Aluminum tank. (Yuck)

I believe only USD tanks were lined. Yes, they can be tumbled out, but may not need to have this done, depending on (if a liner is there) its condition. 71.2s are great tanks. They can last a life time. Those that tell you that they are out of "bliss" probably want to sell you an Aluminum tank. (Yuck)
USD never actually made tanks...
I have seen liners in Norris and PST 72s but have never owned a heathways.

If it has a liner I suggest getting it removed. Most hydro shops can bead blast it out quicker and cheaper than any home or shop tumbler can. That stuff is tough but it can hide pitting and corrosion, the white and blue liners are potentially tolerable to leave in, but the brown liners absolutely need to be removed to confirm the underlying steel is in good condition.

USD never actually made tanks...

USD SOLD tanks that had the linings. Many companies do not make the ones they sell.

I have 3 or 4 tanks without any USD markings that had liners. They may have had USD stickers at one point, who knows they are all older than me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom