Hearthstone Point navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not 100% sure that the site is accessible after the campground closes. I only assume that because a) the dive report I referenced in my first post was dated mid-October; b) state parks here in Mass are still accessible way after the end of the season (I realize NY may have different rules etc.). If my assumption is off base, I hope someone will correct me here.

I'll ask the park attendant tomorrow and post the answer.

@Scuba-74
It's easily doable on an hp100... with a good amount of time left.
If you go "the right way", you might hit 60 ft of water. (I believe the car is around 45 ft, the boat maybe 55. If you go past 60 ft, you missed the boat. I generally come along the outside of the big rocks I mentioned & turn in, just because it's a little deeper and I've been playing with finding things... but staying to the inside/left is an easier shot at the boat.
Scissor kicking within 4 ft of the bottom in that area will bring up the silt.

I asked last week, and was told they are not open for day use after 9/8 this year...I don't know if that is just the official statement, or if the entrance is closed/locked.

OK - bad news. The last night for camping is Sept 8th. Everyone has to be out of the park by 11am on the 9th. After that no one allowed in.

More bad news - for me - I slipped on those rocks and almost certainly broke my right wrist. Did 2 dives anyway. Visibility was about 10 feet shallow, 5 feet deeper. Thermocline at 30-33 feet. Didn't locate any of the objects so can't report on depths.

Wow, bad news indeed, especially with the possible fracture. I hope you recover quickly.

Too bad that the beach can't be accessed after season, I was hoping for a nice late September or early October dive. Will have to look for the alternatives.

Ouch, sorry to hear that, @Kharon
I slipped there months ago, before the swim lines were up, and my right elbow still isn't right. (Functional, but can't rest rest it on a flat surface without pain. Wouldn't be surprised if it chipped or had a crack - I'll just continue making sure it's off the counter/table.
How you have a fast, and complete, recovery.
@Scuba-74
Roger's Rock is open until Columbus Day, and there are some other areas with access (wish I knew more specifics). There's Conklinville Dam at Sacandaga Lake - warmer than Hearthstone, shallower, worse visibility, and without land/air/water vehicles submerged. Not sure what Lake Luzerne has to offer.

*edited to add - I've heard that there is some interesting stuff at Sacandaga; but one needs a boat to get to it. There's also The Forward underwater classroom and the sunken fleet at Lake George.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom