Heated Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did dumping cold water on your head help? I'm doing that before my dive later today.

Not with undergarments on! I use wet hand towels that I leave in a 5gal ice bucket in my truck!

Not with undergarments on! I use wet hand towels that I leave in a 5gal ice bucket in my truck!
I like that idea. The benefit lasts longer. I do not know what part of the world you live, but Seattle doesn't get that outrageously hot. So we can get by with cold water on our heads..

OTOH...you can also get overheated pretty quickly. I have to get mine off really fast between dives when diving in our local quarry in summer.

And that is why I bought a 3mm for the summer when I'm diving the shallow side of the quarry.

And that is why I bought a 3mm for the summer when I'm diving the shallow side of the quarry.

Oh Marie. If only. I have 8 or 9 wet suits. Unfortunately our quarry, Dutch Springs, is almost always best when wearing a dry-suit. Yes, you can wear a 7mm FJ and stay at 30-50 feet but any attraction is below 40' and the temps are usually bone chilling below 50'. I assisted a rescue class in mid-August a few years back in a 3mm and I was the coldest that I've ever been after 70 mins in the quarry. (And I've dived in the Antarctic). Yes I know that YMMV...

Oh Marie. If only. I have 8 or 9 wet suits. Unfortunately our quarry, Dutch Springs, is almost always best when wearing a dry-suit. Yes, you can wear a 7mm FJ and stay at 30-50 feet but any attraction is below 40' and the temps are usually bone chilling below 50'. I assisted a rescue class in mid-August a few years back in a 3mm and I was the coldest that I've ever been after 70 mins in the quarry. (And I've dived in the Antarctic). Yes I know that YMMV...

Haigh Quarry, near Kankakee, IL, south of Chicago, only goes to about 50', aside from "Deep Hole" (which I won't be going near as it turns pitch black from a sulfur layer at 60'). I'll be diving dry when on the "deep side" (35' to 50'), but if I'm just going to be playing on the shallow side, I'll pull out the 3mm in the depths of summer. Unlike the spring fed quarries, Haigh is only filled with ground water, so it doesn't get icy cold like I know Gilboa in Ohio can. Thermocline is about 35' at Haigh

"Depths of summer"? Invincible winter... Camus is spinning.

OTOH...you can also get overheated pretty quickly. I have to get mine off really fast between dives when diving in our local quarry in summer.
I typically set up my equipment to the point of just needing to get in it, cinch it up & go, then I don the drysuit & undergarment. Next I get in the water (or get under a shower, if it is a boat) for a few minutes to cool off,... then don the equipment & do the dive, I will usually stay in my dry suit between dives & periodically get int the water to cool off, as needed. It is typically no big deal, but then I get cold VERY quickly & easily..

My wife has been certified since before me (back to the 80's) but she can't get in the water anymore because she's too cold. Granted, she's anemic because of chemotherapy destroying her body's ability to make red blood cells but she's always been a bit anemic even before that. I bought her a 5/4 full wetsuit but she's still reluctant. Anybody tried a heated wetsuit?

Heated Wetsuit Review: Quiksilver Cypher Vs. Thermalution Heated Undersuit Vs. RipCurl H-Bomb Vest

I would go with a drysuit rather then the heated wetsuits in your link. The only thing more effective then a drysuit would be a hot water suit but that requires surface supply diving.

Back
Top Bottom