Heavy legs. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sometimes use a camband for extra weight. You don't need to snake it through the bcd, just put it around the tank wherever you want it. OMS makes cute little weight pockets.

If the RK3's don't work try the Deep 6 fins. Super light, super stiff, and super groovy colors.
I see .. good to know.

I wonder why producers don't publish the density of all those fins; that would be so much more usefull then a generic "positive/negative/neutral" buoyancy statement.

In general, a jacket will always push your towards a foot down position.
I know :-( I've been told.

Still, I'd like to correct it as much as possible. I really dislike not having a chance to properly hover statically when I need/want to.

I know :-( I've been told.

Still, I'd like to correct it as much as possible. I really dislike not having a chance to properly hover statically when I need/want to.

We aren't built the same way and I wasn't diving steel tanks but what helped me in the way back days, was to move my weights closer together and over my hips, rather than all around the waist as you have them. Further, I then concentrated on having a more head down posture. Everything together seemed to counter act each other as required and I was more trimmed out as I wanted to be.

Later, when I got into to a back inflate bcd, life underwater became ever so much more sweet. I did have to adjust a bit again because the back inflate helped keep me flatter. Whether this was psychological or not, I'm not sure. It was a long time ago and as I said, I haven't dove a steel tank.

I just began to "think" myself down and then even better was "thinking" myself back up again.

I just breathe myself back up to the safety stop and then I hold my stop.

However, I don't like being in the scrum. Therefore, if anyone was bothering to look, they'd see me barely moving my fin tips yet, still on the outside of the scrum. And then when they have made it to the surface, I very very slowly, breathe myself up to the surface as well, spinning slightly as I rise to watch for boats or whatever might be out to stop me from successfully reaching the surface in my own sweet time.

what helped me in the way back days, was to move my weights closer together and over my hips, rather than all around the waist as you have them.

I'm confused ... maybe you mean I should place all the weights on the left and right side?

Sorry but I'm not native english and for me waist and hips are what you see in the picture; you're suggestion confuses me a bit (hips are lower then the waist); shouldn't I place the weigths higher instead?

Attachments

• waist_hips.jpg
    waist_hips.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 101
Fins are one tiny adjustment but won’t solve this alone. You are 5’9” and weigh 180, using a HP 100 if my memory serves on the tank size. The 7mm semidry should not be an issue if it keeps you warm enough, it only loses some buoyancy at depth which you compensate with the b/c.

Being relatively short moving weight at the core is less effective but ditching the floaty b/c would serve you better than a room full of fins, a stainless backplate will move nearly 1/2 of the weight you use higher up at the center offering more control.

If you are truly unhappy with your trim you will have to make some changes other than fins, even if you love the b/c it needs to go.

Fins are one tiny adjustment but won’t solve this alone.
I agree.

You are 5’9”
... I think I am 6'1" (185cm high), or do I?

Being relatively short moving weight at the core is less effective but ditching the floaty b/c would serve you better than a room full of fins, a stainless backplate will move nearly 1/2 of the weight you use higher up at the center offering more control.
I guess you're right here. but that will take time. I'm going to spend my money for some more courses first as I'm all geared up at the moment. The BPW is already on the wishing list though ;-)

How is your posture? If you're dropping your legs, no amount of moving weight around is going to compensate for it. You should be flat from shoulders to knees, and doing so will require a little tension in your buttocks.

I agree.

... I think I am 6'1" (185cm high), or do I?

I guess you're right here. but that will take time. I'm going to spend my money for some more courses first as I'm all geared up at the moment. The BPW is already on the wishing list though ;-)
I messed up you are closer to 6’1”, I don’t know if you have something like piranha dive supply in your country but if you piece the backplate and wing together you may be surprised how little it costs and you will likely see the greatest improvement with that than anything else.

How is your posture? If you're dropping your legs, no amount of moving weight around is going to compensate for it. You should be flat from shoulders to knees, and doing so will require a little tension in your buttocks.
I try to hold my legs/feet up; and contract my butt also, that helps and yes it needs training because I don't find it so spontaneous as I would.

I don't have many pics of me in water ... this is what I got at hand now. Please don't be too brutal with your comments ;-)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 20.16.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 20.16.36.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 126

Back
Top Bottom