"Heavy Yoke" Aqua-Master DH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
We all know that USD made a Heavy Yoke Royal Aqua Master (I own one). But I had read once that USD also made a heavy yoke Aqua Master? I have never seen one advertised in any USD catalogs nor have I ever seen a picture of one.

1972 USD Catalog is the last time you see the Aqua Master, and the RAM only references the new clamp ring, 1973, AM disappears and now the RAM has a "high strength yoke".

So, to put this nagging question I have to rest, can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this unicorn?

I found the same info so it looks like only the 73 RAM had that yoke but knowing USD, it would not surprise me if they sent out a few DAAMs with it.

I am fairly positive that I have seen an Aqua Master with a heavy yoke, but that is not necessarily proof that US Divers sold it in that configuration. We know of many regulators that have been modified by the owners and dive shops. It was a much more common occurrence back when these regulators were around. We call them "Frankenstein" regulators and there are many variations.

Also, it is fairly well known that US Divers sold some regulator configurations that were not specifically mentioned in the catalogs. At least some items with some details that were different from the catalog.

Some regulators have been found and documented that were sold with parts that belonged to a previous model.

It seems that US Divers would always use up any parts that were available even if they were advertising a new regulator model. A typical example of this is the round label front cover, with the label bonded over a can that was obviously stamped for the older rectangular label.

I have one of those front round label cans with all the indentations and cuts for the rectangular label. But there are other examples of regulators that had older parts being used in a newer model.

My guess (and this is just a guess) is that US Divers could have easily had plenty of left over DA Aqua Master first stages in 1973 and there was no way they were going to throw them out. They were going to sell Aqua Masters until they depleted the stock.

Luis,

Does make sense, especially the Round Labels over the rectangular label. But my guess is that the DAAM heavy yoke does not exist. By 72 the demand for it was about zero and whatever was left over either went into a parts box or was used on the RAM.

What people have seen, my guess, would have been a RAM with a DAAM front box cover. Heavy Yoke RAMs are few and far between but they do come up every so often, you would think a heavy yoke DAAM would show up on Ebay or some other forum at least once?

You may want to do a search over at VDH.

I know that I have seen at least one DAAM with a heavy yoke, I just don't remember where. I think I remember who had one, but I don't know if he sold it.

It is easy to tell the difference between a RAM and a DA Aqua Master. You just have to look at the back. The gap between the yoke and the body in a RAM is very different than in a DAAM.

Back
Top Bottom