• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Helium.....Again

Discussion in 'Technical Diving Specialties' started by Jared0425, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jared0425

Jared0425 Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Most of our normal suppliers don't have any Helium in store. Most welding shops in the area are critically low and suppliers are saying they are back ordered to February. I heard some of you guys in the west are completely out.

Anyone know what's going on? Its seems that balloon suppliers are still getting stuff while we divers who use it have to scrounge around pay up the rear for it.

2. runsongas

runsongas Great White

BLM finished auctioning off the strategic helium reserve and qatar still has issues with its neighbors. Medical keeps using more and more. classic case of decreased supply and increasing demand.

rjack321 and Jared0425 like this.
  3. loosenit2

loosenit2 Solo Diver

I wonder if rebreather sales are going up with the helium costs and shortages?

4. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    @Jared0425 the balloon suppliers are getting very low grade stuff with much less helium than they used to. Party City I think was the one that actually closed a bunch of their stores because of helium.
    Hospitals still get their heliox, but I've been told up to a 6month lead time from my supplier with prices triple what they were this time last year.

Jared0425 likes this.
  5. Tassi Devil Diver

Tassi Devil Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    seems to be no problems getting He here in Australia, the price for a G cylinder here dropped about 20% a little while ago.

6. Pao

Pao Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    MRI machines are eating up most of the supply.

7. Griffo

Griffo DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We've got a small production facility in Darwin (I think). But i was pretty sure 100% of it's production was contracted to the Chinese.. maybe they've scaled back on their purchase contract. A real shame we throw most of our Helium away.

Tassi Devil Diver likes this.
  8. runsongas

runsongas Great White

problem is most NG wells have too low a fraction of helium to be economical for a capture facility even at current prices

9. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

I have no problem getting 5.0 and the price has not changed in Key West.

10. runsongas

runsongas Great White

the trade war is likely to decrease semiconductor demand for computers/phones/tablets etc, so that should help a little