hello... and help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Girl,
The Buoyancy Compensator is the foundation which hold all of your important life support gear in place. The B.C. holds your cylinder in place which in turn your regulators and computer is attached to. When the right B.C. is chosen, it allows you to be one with your gear, and therefore allows you to be more graceful, comfortable and more efficient in the water. As a future instructor, it's very important that you grasp all of those things, hopefully early on.

A good fitting B.C. will stay off of your hips and not cause any discomfort, not slide around on your back in the water, and therefore not 'torque' your back. And it will offer good weight distribution out of the water which will save you a few trips to the Chiropractor down the road. The B.C. is much more important than most people give it credit for.

I agree the MK20 is the bestest 1st stage *grins*, but I would stay away from the UltraLight if you are going for instructor. While the UL is great for recreational diving and traveling, it will probably not hold up to the abuse that an instructor will give it. The inside on the 1st stage is not full brass, it is ceramic coated brass (or the other way around...I keep forgetting), but anyway, its not as sturdy as the regular MK20. Plus, while the new housing is "guaranteed" for life, if there is any scratching it will have to be replaced by a Scubapro dealer or sent into the factory to be replace. Which may mean weeks without a reg, depending on where you are. The MK20, I think, is a much better choice.

As for the "Glide" BC, I work for the a Scubapro distributor, and I have never heard of that BC. (Maybe they are saving it for DEMA...who knows!) Most Instructors I know prefer the Classic of any SP BC. Plenty of lift (for when you have to hold up 2 panicing, overweighted students) and big pockets for slates and whatnot. The new Classic Plus is sweet, check it out! Problem with the Classics though, they are not comfortable on a lot of women, because the backpacks hang too low. I couldn't stand up straight in one with a tank on, but I'm really shortwaisted (all boobs and hips...no torso. I know...TMI!) Try one on, and see how it feels.

You may want to check out the new Ladyhawk by SP. I haven't seen it yet, but its back inflation, and made for women.

Also try the new Diva Deluxe by Seaquest. It is made for women (shorter backpack) but they added a back inflated bladder along with the wrap-around inflation, has bigger pockets and more lift.

Just a few suggestions....
I'll shut up now.

Hi island girl...

I was just wondering where you get those prices for a MK20/R380?

Hi Igirl
As usual everyones on target, got an MK20 and a R380 octo. love'em. Also a 3mm S-tek, check the climate/water temp. where you gonna be diving before you buy your suit, also your tolerance to the cold, this will keep you from buying something too thin or too thick that you may not need later. I'm happy with my split Jetfins from scuba pro.
Have fun shopping! RC

Hyia, I currently use the Scubapro MK20 / G250 and have no reservations what so ever. they are good solid regulators with an excelent reputation. I paid $430.00 us for the pair.

VegasDiver

the prices i got are from a dive shop here in Barcelona..
if i buy the whole kit with him, he's going to give me a 10% discount on all items.

i leave next Friday 2nd... roll on Hurghada!

cheers and thanks to all for the info.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom