Hello! and question on Diving Banda Sea, land based options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I have been using this site for a while now to get info on gear, traveling, uw photography etc. and finally decided to join. Thanks for all the wonderful help!

I can't seem to find much info on diving the Banda Sea in Indonesia from a land based op. and was wondering if anyone had any info. Google gave me Spice Island Divers in Banda Neira which seems to be the only option.

I am heading to Raja Ampat in January on Felicia to dive the northern sights for a week. I was hoping to compliment my budget dive trip with some great diving in Lembeh, and maybe Banda as well. Any info on pricing, travel, weather, or land based diving vs. liveaboard in Banda would be greatly appreciated (I can't afford to do a livaboard in the Banda Sea on this trip though). Thanks.

:happywave: Hi Magrone, and welcome to :sblogo:

Regarding your question, I dived a lot in Indonesia but not in the Bandas, so I can't comment; however I dove in Lembeh and it is for sure awesome diving there!

You might want to do a search and/or post in the Indonesian sub-forum, there are plenty of divers who have been to/live in Indonesia..

Cheers..

hi Magrone.

Seems you are up to muck diving for your next diving trip.

Lembeh can be visited all year round and as it is located in North Sulawesi (just about 2 hours driving from Bunaken - another world's great dive site), there are varying accommodations so you can make your decision based on your budget. Some located on lembeh island while some located on the main land facing the island but takes only about 5 minutes by boat to reach the island.

You are correct about Ambon. There are not many dive operator/resort on this area. My company work with the oldest one which is Maluku Diver. Their accommodation cost/night including full board and three dives/day is USD 250/person. Ambon can be reach from Bali & North Sulawesi, so it is also possible if you would like to combine Lembeh & Ambon in one trip. This year they close from June 1 -Sept 6.

you also can combine your Raja Ampat & Ambon trip as they are flight connecting these two areas.

Thanks for the replies. I emailed Malaku divers and they said the trip to the Banda islands is possible but requires a flight from Ambon that leaves once a week. So it may have to be a week long commitment if I decide on this route. I will post in the Indonesia forum if I decide to pursue this. Thanks again for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom