Hello Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taylorm007

Reaction score
Hello SB members,

Recently on a Christmas trip to Jamaica, I decided to do a resort dive with the LDS. While the particular reef I visited was not very spectacular, the experience I had was. Everything seemed to come very naturally to me and I could tell right away I was hooked. Unfortunately, I live in Central Illinois and the opportunity to get certified did not present itself until I came down to Houston for the summer. While working an internship between semesters in the great state of Texas, me and my brother (a certified diver) planned a trip to Cozumel over the 4th of July weekend. I was not going to the Caribbean again un-certified. Therefore, I did some searching on the Internet and found a local instructor that offered a weekend PADI certification. (FYI...If you lack the time for week day classes this is a good course. Although, I would recommend this only to someone that has been familiarized with SCUBA, and is a fast learner. For beginners, I would suggest something a little slower paced.) Anyways, 4-6 weeks after my open water cert at the Blue Lagoon, I got my certification card, I was ready for Cozumel. We got a good deal with funjet staying at Park Royal, an all inclusive pretty close to the airport. My brother, being a master planner, had our first dive scheduled a week in advance with Blue Angel dive shop (I was thinking of posting a separate thread on my experience with BA, which overall was great.) We planned on only diving the first day and maybe the next morning, we ended up diving everyday we could. Needless to say, I am hooked and I hope to post many exciting trip reports on SB in the years to come.

Cheers,
Matt
:cheers:

Sounds like you only like warm water :D

What about local diving, do you think you would get into that - I hear there are some good quarrys in Il.?

I haven't done much research on the subject yet, but I plan on checking it out a little more. After diving Coz, the quarry would be like a mudpuddle. I guess it would be better than not diving at all though. Have to get a thicker wet suit, I suppose a 7mm will do?

The biggest LDS in the midwest (or so they claim) is here in Springfield.
As far as diving opportunities go, I just got back from a weekend of wreck diving in Lake Michigan out of Chi and Milwaukee. I also frequent Mermet Springs, http://www.mermetsprings.com/ .
It's not Coz, but I wouldn't call it a mud puddle, either. It's a great place to practice and improve your skills.

MgicTwnger,
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it! Like I said any diving is better than no diving. How is the visibility in Lake Michigan? What about the temp at around 80'? It's going to be hard, to go from 100'-150' of visibility to 10'-15'.
Matt

taylorm007 once bubbled...
MgicTwnger,
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it! Like I said any diving is better than no diving. How is the visibility in Lake Michigan? What about the temp at around 80'? It's going to be hard, to go from 100'-150' of visibility to 10'-15'.
Matt

It's a whole different experience then diving where the tropical breezes play and the girls go topless. IMHO, the challenges and rewards are high.
On the four dives I did this weekend, viz was from 30+ to 12-15. It can change rapidly. Temps were in the low 40's at 90', low 60's at 30'. I dive a 7mm semi-dry, which works for me, but most of the regulars dive dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom