Hello from Beautiful Hawaii!! Quick question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! First time on this site and it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge!

I am new to diving and new to Hawaii. For some background, I did a discovery dive in Doha, Qatar and decided to jump into scuba. Planned a trip to get my SSI OW Certification while in the Philippines. Now I’m in Hawaii and will be doing a lot of diving on weekends and holidays.

First question is about path. I will continue to go down the SSI route. The LDS I will be frequenting is also SSI so that helps. Many divers opt to go the Advanced Adventurer route following OWD. I was thinking of just diving to log more dives and going on to specialties to get my AOW (24 dives and 4 specialties). What are your thoughts?

Secondly, I purchased mask, fins, computer and thermal protection already (turns out I don’t need much thermal protection here). I want to get into my own BCD and set of regulators. Any recommendations?

The LDS is offering a nice deal ($1200) for:
Aqua Lung Axium i3 BCD
Aqua Lung Titan First stage and Primary
Aqua Lung ABS Octo
Aqua Lung i300c computer 2 gauge

Heard mixed reviews on the i3 setup and I already have a computer but I like the idea of the backup, especially if it is in the package.

Is this a good deal, assuming right fit? Is it worth buying items new or should I go used route (potentially buy 1 yr old rental BCD and regs)

Thanks for continuing to provide great information!

Aloha and welcome to the islands!

I like your idea to just get out and dive to get some experience. Then you can work towards SSI's AOW if you so desire, or you can. just do the specialties that you will use in your diving (Deep, Nitrox, nav, etc)

Aloha and welcome to the islands!

I like your idea to just get out and dive to get some experience. Then you can work towards SSI's AOW if you so desire, or you can. just do the specialties that you will use in your diving (Deep, Nitrox, nav, etc)

Thanks for the input. That’s what I’m thinking. Just have to rest for NITROX and I want to do wreck, deep, navigation and buoyancy. After all of those with some shore dives, I’ll be there!

Hi,

I’m very prejudiced! Besides being certified by PADI for OWD, the most useful certification I’ve gotten is for Nitrox. It’s a boon for shallow or deep dives, rec dives or wreck dives! The one caveat: in order to take full advantage of Nitrox, you need good bottom times. That tends to come with experience—so, get in as much diving as you can AND work on breathing.

BCs: be prepared to try to sort all the info and opinions regarding vest-style vs backplate and wings (BPW). Both types will serve you well. There are advantages to each.

I’ve used a vest type since Day One, but I’m not a tech diver or a wreck diver. My advice: if at all possible try renting BPWs, and diving with someone who regularly uses one. Whilst vest types are almost intuitive, I think BPWs need training—not a lot of training, but some.

By the by, if you haven’t dived the Big Island, give it a try. Delightful diving

upload_2020-7-9_18-13-12.jpeg

Have fun!

Joe

Hi, again,

I would tend to avoid buying most used equipment. Most dive gear is for life support, especially regs. Stick with a high quality new reg AND have it serviced annually.

Instead of buying a used BC, just rent them until you can afford the new one you want. Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you.

upload_2020-7-9_18-34-58.jpeg

Have fun!

Joe

I'd personally hold off on the BC. Rent them for a while. Less to carry back and forth and as you get experience you will have a better idea what you might really be interested in. I think you'll find its one of the least important pieces of gear you'll have. Especially in tropical/recrational settings.

Take that money and go a bit bigger on new regulator. Deep6 has a regulator close to that price point I believe but that whole selling direct model might not be of your interest. Your LDS might have an affinity toward Aqualung -- so check out the Leg3nd or Apeks XTX50 regulators. The Atomic Z2/Z3 is closer to that price point as well. Those are all excellent and great breathing regulators.

Good luck!

One thing I can say is to stay away from the i300 computer. I had an i200 and had nothing but issues with it. Not to mention the menu is not easy to navigate.

I would look into Deep 6 regs I currently dive them and absolutely love them. I won't give advice on a BCD as I am not a big fan of a jacket style. I have a Scubapro Knighthawk which is a back inflate BCD and just don't like they way they feel. I much prefer the minimalist feel of a backplate and wing (bp/w). Before you buy a BCD, see if you can try out different styles including the bp/w.

Good luck on the gear hunt , let us know what you end up buying and above all else, keep diving!

I am jealous of you in Hawaii. I fell in love with Hawaii (the Big Island is my favorite) and I hope to get back there to dive one day.

My friends bought i3 during open water. It is not a bad BCD but it has some different internal pieces and parts that work to operate its dump system. It also has the infamous inflator/dump switch. I tried it and did not like it. But that's just me. The i3 system has been around a while but never seems to take the hobby by storm. That price is a bit high for a jacket style BCD in my humble opinion. There are great one out there for less. Try some out and see what works best for you.

Hello,
The whole point of an Advanced Diver Course is to give new divers more and varied experience under supervision. Besides, diving is not a sport that lends well to trial and error learning. I tell my students that at the Open Water Diver level we are holding you hand. At the Advanced Diver level we are still there with you, just no longer holding your hand. Not to mention many resorts/sites etc. cannot seem to differentiate between experience/qualification versus certification. You may have a hundred logged dives but not an "advanced card" and the you hear "no you can't dive wreck because you are not "advanced".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom