Hello from Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

I have been enjoying reading the forum for a few days now, you guys have a great database here. Thanks for all the info!

I got my OW cert at least 8 years ago for college credit but have only logged about 20-30 dives. I dove in Kona, Hawaii this summer and while it certainly wasn't the best diving I have done, I realized just how awesome this sport is and got the bug to really push my skills. I currently have AOW and want to get Rescue Diver/EFR in the next couple months.

Kansas isn't the greatest spot to dive (might be one of the worst) but after I finish my PhD in March, I'll have 3-4 months to travel and I have a goal of trying to get my master diver certification by the end of the trip. I'm looking at the Philippines and Thailand, and possibly some time in Australia if I can afford it.

So the plan at that point is the just accumulate 50 dives and find a good dive shop in Thailand to get a masters certification. Let me know if you have recommendations, I'm definitely into remote chill/backpacker locations versus the resort areas.

Looking forward to getting to know more divers!

Cheers.

Welcome from Nova Scotia. I'm curious--If you were to dive locally, where would that be in Kansas?

I go to Arkansas/Oklahoma. In my opinion, the best lake in that region is Ouachita in southwest Arkansas, which has fresh water jelly fish, sponges, beautiful underwater rock formations, and good spear fishing in the summer, if that's your thing. Another popular lake is Beaver in northwest Arkansas.

I'm planning to have a job in Montreal next year, where is the good diving in south east Canada?

I only know the Halifax, NS area. It's OK. The usual--sand, rocks, seaweed, crabs, lobsters, moon snails and other northern shells, flounders, the odd time you see small squid, other fish, but not plentiful. In summer some tropical fish get up here on the Gulf Stream and die when it gets cold. I did actually see a group of Triggerfish a couple of years ago in Aug. Summer high water temps. may go as high as 70 but usually low 60s. There is a charter boat, but it's a new op I'm not familiar with. Think they go out of Lunenberg, SW of Hfx. PADI shop Torpedo Rays Scuba Adventures can help you out if you're out this way, or PM me.

I go to Arkansas/Oklahoma. In my opinion, the best lake in that region is Ouachita in southwest Arkansas, which has fresh water jelly fish, sponges, beautiful underwater rock formations, and good spear fishing in the summer, if that's your thing. Another popular lake is Beaver in northwest Arkansas.

I'm planning to have a job in Montreal next year, where is the good diving in south east Canada?

Brockville is popular and close to Montreal.

Congratulations on starting diving, fellow Kansan.
Welcome to the addiction.
Kansas is not great diving, indeed.

If you are going to be in the Montreal area have a look at Google maps. There is a lot of good diving in the St. Lawrence River west Montreal. I have been diving from Cornwall, ON to Lake Ontario. There is a lot of shipwrecks in really good condition in this area.

Depending on the time of year, it can be quite cold however. The warmest month is August (can get as warm as 75F). After August it gets colder. People tend to dive 7mm wetsuit from May to September. People dive drysuit all year long. The coldest I've used a wetsuit was 45F in May.

Back
Top Bottom