Hello from Kwajalein! Could use some advice/ideas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krikdiver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wow, this already looks like a great community to be a part of!

My name is Kristen, and I'm a science teacher on Kwajalein Island, of the Republic of Marshall Islands. I teach 7th grade Earth Science, 10th chemistry, 11th physics, and 12th zoology. The reason I've joined scubaboard.com is to get ideas from all of you for some underwater activities for my students.

A surprisingly small number of students are scuba certified, but this year, all three of my physics students (super small class!) have their open water ceritifcations. One of my colleagues is a dive master, and I have my Advanced Cert, so I'd really like to take the students underwater to perform some experiments.

What I am asking from the scuba forum is this: Any and ALL ideas for underwater physics experiments! Some of our units include: Linear/Projectile motion (just finished both of those), Newton's Laws, circular motion and rotational mechanics, properties of matter (I already have lots of ideas for the gas laws!), sound, light, electricity, and magnetism.

We don't really have any limitations. I can take these girls (with the assistance of my divemaster colleague) to go night diving any time, we can go in the pool, we can go into big sandy expanses in the lagoon... but I'm figuring this is my only chance to take a physics class underwater.

Thank you for your ideas!!

Hi Kristen, My wife and I have great friends on Kwaj and have been there twice. We live in Saipan so Kwaj is just next door! The last time we were there (last May) some students were doing science projects while snorkeling at Emon.

Welcome to SB!

Don't forget "fun with Archimedes' & Bernoulli's Principle" !

Welcome to ScubaBoard! And you should be telling us what it's like being a member of the most active Scuba Club in the Pacific!
Kwajalein Scuba Club

(I was just there in July, embarking from Ebeye on M/V Windward for a liveaboard Scuba Expedition to Bikini Atoll, and the wrecks of the Atomic Fleet.)

Hi, Kristen!

Wow, how I envy you for being on Kwaj and being able to experience diving there. I lived there 1991-93 and did a lot of snorkeling, but never did scuba. I cannot due to chronic allergic rhinitis, which means that I could have a devastating sneezing attack at any time, above or below water. Anyway, if you haven't heard about Kwaj-Net yet, you might want to check it out. There's a Facebook page, website and other social properties that I've developed all for the sake of spreading the word about Kwajalein and connecting current and former residents and raise awareness of job opportunities to people that have not yet experienced the awesomeness of the atoll. Start by checking out Facebook first.

http://facebook.com/KwajNet

I hope to see you there as well as keeping tabs with each other on here. :)

Kommol Tata and Yokwe,

Bob Raymond
Kwaj-Net Founder and Sr. Administrator

Wow, this already looks like a great community to be a part of!

My name is Kristen, and I'm a science teacher on Kwajalein Island, of the Republic of Marshall Islands. I teach 7th grade Earth Science, 10th chemistry, 11th physics, and 12th zoology. The reason I've joined scubaboard.com is to get ideas from all of you for some underwater activities for my students.

A surprisingly small number of students are scuba certified, but this year, all three of my physics students (super small class!) have their open water ceritifcations. One of my colleagues is a dive master, and I have my Advanced Cert, so I'd really like to take the students underwater to perform some experiments.

What I am asking from the scuba forum is this: Any and ALL ideas for underwater physics experiments! Some of our units include: Linear/Projectile motion (just finished both of those), Newton's Laws, circular motion and rotational mechanics, properties of matter (I already have lots of ideas for the gas laws!), sound, light, electricity, and magnetism.

We don't really have any limitations. I can take these girls (with the assistance of my divemaster colleague) to go night diving any time, we can go in the pool, we can go into big sandy expanses in the lagoon... but I'm figuring this is my only chance to take a physics class underwater.

Thank you for your ideas!!

If you can get permission, why not measure the radioactivity of the USS Prinz Eugen?

If you can get permission, why not measure the radioactivity of the USS Prinz Eugen?

I'm pretty sure the Eugen is a little too deep for our OW divers.

Kristen, what an awesome idea! Our kids have such great opportunities out here on the island. Talk about an experience to remember. I'll ask the hubs if he has any ideas for you as well.

:)

Back
Top Bottom