Hello from London! Help me spend £1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's an amazing deal. This might be the only time I am jealous of not living in Europe.

Oh wait, I forgot about where I live now. Anyone over there interested in adopting a dysfunctional American family?

I have used a drysuit in Egpyt Nov-March with just long underwear (long pants, long sleeves) on underneath and been quite comfortable.
IMO a 5mm hood is great for controlling hair, esp. on a long RIB ride. I don't think I needed it for warmth at all, but the hood makes hair so much easier to control.
You need preferably 2-3 sets of long underwear so that you always have a dry set (maybe 4 if you do 4 dives/day and always want something truely dry). I recommend merino wool underwear not only because it's warm, but esp. on a liveaboard because it doesn't collect odor like sports underwear does - hugely more pleasant after 10+ dives, esp. if you have it in your cabin to dry.
I also take a tube scarf to protect my neck seal from the hanger (esp if it is rope - they move them back & forth on the hanging rail and friction generates heat - very bad for the neck seal). Also, write or draw something distinctive on your fins; on the top of the foot pocket to make them easy to find when hanging on the boat and on the bottom of the blade to make it easy to ID you when you are underwater (nice to know whos who in photos).
My favorite Red Sea areas are Daedalus and the deep south.
If you know what boat you are interested in using, look at their websites (or FB pages such as Masters Red Sea) and you may see photos/videos from very recent trips. You can see what critters they are seeing, how warmly folks are dressed and what the seas look like.

I have used a drysuit in Egpyt Nov-March with just long underwear (long pants, long sleeves) on underneath and been quite comfortable.
IMO a 5mm hood is great for controlling hair, esp. on a long RIB ride. I don't think I needed it for warmth at all, but the hood makes hair so much easier to control.
You need preferably 2-3 sets of long underwear so that you always have a dry set (maybe 4 if you do 4 dives/day and always want something truely dry). I recommend merino wool underwear not only because it's warm, but esp. on a liveaboard because it doesn't collect odor like sports underwear does - hugely more pleasant after 10+ dives, esp. if you have it in your cabin to dry.
I also take a tube scarf to protect my neck seal from the hanger (esp if it is rope - they move them back & forth on the hanging rail and friction generates heat - very bad for the neck seal). Also, write or draw something distinctive on your fins; on the top of the foot pocket to make them easy to find when hanging on the boat and on the bottom of the blade to make it easy to ID you when you are underwater (nice to know whos who in photos).
My favorite Red Sea areas are Daedalus and the deep south.
If you know what boat you are interested in using, look at their websites (or FB pages such as Masters Red Sea) and you may see photos/videos from very recent trips. You can see what critters they are seeing, how warmly folks are dressed and what the seas look like.
Brilliant tips!
Thank you very much!

Maltaqua is closed in January, so that helps the decision making process!

it normally takes 15-20 dives to get comfortable in a drysuit. See if you can join a local club that has pool nights and/or weekend trips. Wraysbury is nearby and perfect for practicing buoyancy as it’s quite shallow.
I did my course there with Oyster diving. They have pool sessions too. I definitely need to get some dives in. Probably get 4 in max though.

Hopefully i've just secured the last place on Blue Melody doing the Northern Wrecks & Reefs route!
Woooo Hooooo.
THANK YOU!
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Hopefully i've just secured the last place on Blue Melody doing the Northern Wrecks & Reefs route!
Woooo Hooooo.
THANK YOU!
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Oh wow! When are you going??

Back
Top Bottom