Hello from Pelham, NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a 14 year old grandson we gave a intro lesson when we were at Seaworld in FL and he’s hooked. I haven’t dived in years and have 3 octopus rigs and 5 tanks plus assorted gear that hasn’t been used since the mid 80’s. My question is if I take the tanks for recertification what are the odds they will pass? I used to buy my equipment at New England Divers in Beverly but they don’t exist anymore from what I’m told, where is a good place to take The tanks and regulators to be rehabbed?
I don’t plan on diving but want to have him get certified, his buddy is going also!

Welcome to the board! If the tanks are steel, and have been stored with at least 200-300 psi of air, they have a decent chance of passing the inspection. If the tanks are aluminum, don't bother, as most shops would not fill aluminum tanks from the 80-s even if they do pass the inspection. Most regulators can be overhauled, but I would consider cost/benefit of overhauling a very old regulator vs. buying something new.

Someone more local to the North Shore should be able to suggest a decent dive shop. I dive there, but my dive shop is closer to where I live in Western Mass.

This shop appears to be within 20 min from you, but I can't speak about it's quality as I just Googled it: Aquatic Escapes Dive Center - Home

If you post a couple of pictures of your tanks and regs, many highly knowledgeable people here would be able to give you more specific advice.

I'm not sure where you are in Pelham but Aquatic Escapes is probably your closest dive shop like @Scuba-74 said. Its a good shop but I'm not sure if they (or anyone else locally) has the ability to rebuild regulators that old. Give them a call though you never know. If its been a while I also recommend refresher - welcome back to New England diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom