Hello from Pittsburgh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlowBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My fiancé and I completed our PADI OW in anticipation of our honeymoon trip to Australia this September. I’ve been lurking for a few months - mostly reading A&I threads to build education.

Interests include photography. We’re hoping for a GoPro for the wedding so we can get some footage of the GBR.

Upcoming trip in September will be a 3day/2night on OceanQuest w/ Deep Sea Diver’s Den.

After that we are doing a Western a Caribbean cruise next April. Looking forward to diving in Roatan and Cozumel.

We were thinking of getting the AOW or Nitrox out of the way, but fiancé is still learning how to equalize. She doesn’t want to put more money in until after September, it’ll be our trial trip to see if I need to find a new dive buddy!

There are a few "knowns" to the dive world that you may wish to consider. First and foremost, given any dive agency, they will have instructors who are ideal for a particular type of diver. I'm not the least bit concerned with you, it came out in the first few lines. You'll be fine.

Your intended, however, concerns me greatly. Difficulty equalizing is the "check is in the mail" cover for not being the least bit comfortable with keeping up with you. "I'm in over my head trying to keep up with you yet you keep distancing?"

I took OW twice with the two biggest agencies just for the hell of it. This is not a race unless you are trying to show your intended that she can't keep up with you.

Your choice, I would suggest a much gentler hand at this.

Welcome!

Fellow diver from western PA here. I think you will find a large community of divers nearby. People are always surprised to find out there are so many active divers here.

Scott

thanks for your insight lowviz. Just to clarify - since the internet is a thing - my comment about finding a new dive buddy was in jest. I am taking a supportive approach to her equalizing efforts. “Equalize early and often” is the mantra when we are descending.

From what I can tell, she’s very comfortable in the water. She just has trouble equalizing on the way down. She’s even had trouble equalizing after flights in the past - it once took her three days to clear pressure after a 45 minute flight from PGH to NY.

You’ve provided me with another way to look at what she has said - I.e. an angle of “I need some help and I’m not quite comfortable yet.” So, I must thank you for that.

I’ve sent her the DAN article on the subject, and I think it’s something that she is still learning and progressing with. We’ve talked about doing some additional dives around here just to practice the descent portion, but our friends’ weddings and our own wedding planning keeps getting in the way..

Do you recommend the AOW with a particular instructor here in W. Pa.? That’s the cert where we do a number of specialty dives, right? Like UW photography, deep dive, buoyancy control, etc.? We intend to continue our education in the sport.

Back
Top Bottom