Hello from Puget Sound!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnohomishDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
More specifically, from Monroe, Washington, in Snohomish County, east of Everett and diving locations at Mukilteo, etc.

I'm 64 - took the PADI open water classes with my wife in 2005, and received my OW certification in November. I then researched and bought pretty nice gear for my wife and I (ScubaPro, Mares, Zeagle, Uwatec...). We then put the gear away and didn't dive again! I'm not a very good swimmer, and the cold water, poor visibility, and currents of the Sound kind of scared me off, even though I'd even bought a nice Bare drysuit. My wife wasn't keen on Sound conditions either.

So, we just sort of moved on to other things. Among the "other things" was I contracted non-Hodgkins lymphoma and fought that off in 2010 and 2011. Fortunately, treatment was highly successful (Thanks, Fred Hutchison!!). We bought 5 acres of woodland in 2008 that keeps us busy, and we've been doing a lot of camping, too.

Recently, my wife made friends with another gal, who's husband is an avid diver. Divemaster, Scuba instructor trainer, tech diver. After many interesting discussions with him, I broke out our gear for him to inspect. Happily, the stuff I bought was pretty much obsolescence proof (MK25/S600, Zeagle Ranger, etc.). He said he'd actually buy the same gear himself today - I just need to get it checked out for deteriorated O-rings, change out computer batteries, etc.

I just completed the online PADI ReActivate course over the past couple of evenings, and once I get me gear checked out, will do some refresher work - basically reviewing everything from scratch in confined water with my friend. I'm looking forward to it now - and perhaps some warm water dives in shallow water and great visibility soon!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....enjoyed reading your story..now you have some incentive to return the deep blue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom