Hello from SUBIC Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how safe is that area and others for expats living there?
places we shouldnt go etc..

The last time I was there was in 2002 and it was really safe and the people extremely nice. The beaches are clean and the water crystal clear. Lots of dive resorts to pick and choose from. There wasn't many expats there due to no nightlife. I'm not sure how that has changed. Have been looking at a dive vacation out that way to see though. I can tell you that out in the country side they do have a lot of NPA rebels.

The last time I was there was in 2002 and it was really safe and the people extremely nice. The beaches are clean and the water crystal clear. Lots of dive resorts to pick and choose from. There wasn't many expats there due to no nightlife. I'm not sure how that has changed. Have been looking at a dive vacation out that way to see though. I can tell you that out in the country side they do have a lot of NPA rebels.
npa rebels? where ?

npa rebels? where ?

NPA is New Peoples Army. They are mostly located out in the country side all over the Philippines. They are mostly responsible for the killings of Gov people who are corrupt and take advantage of the poor. They are the protectors of their villages.

NPA is New Peoples Army. They are mostly located out in the country side all over the Philippines. They are mostly responsible for the killings of Gov people who are corrupt and take advantage of the poor. They are the protectors of their villages.
ah ok girlfriend says they dont bother expats or citizens.

@DevonDiver is located in, IIRC, Subic as well.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

There is some good wreck diving at Subic, I was there last year, although the visibility was nothing to write home about due to poor weather.

I was diving out of Johans, which was quite a laid back op.

were looking into layia area.

What your GF says is true and a bit not true when it comes to the NPA. Most of us expats they leave alone as long as you are one of those friendly guys who gets along with everyone. If however, you happen to be one of those type of guys that looks down your nose, there are a few here, then you can find yourself in trouble quick. The Part of Batangas you are headed to is not a place I have been before. The farthest south I have been there is LoBo, Batangas and that was very country. So, I am expecting yours to be even more so. I myself love the country life. The air is cleaner and its really laid back. The draw back comes in the form of shopping for food, Internet, and sometimes electricity. What they call brow outs tend to be very frequent. I have lost many external hard drives and other electronics to these. I now have Battery Backups hooked to everything.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

There is some good wreck diving at Subic, I was there last year, although the visibility was nothing to write home about due to poor weather.

I was diving out of Johans, which was quite a laid back op.

Thanks for the welcome. I have dove most of the wrecks here. Some are better than others and yes the viz can be poor even in the best conditions. Even now it should be the best diving weather of the year but it has been cloudy and windy a great deal of the time. I dive out of TI Dive next door to Johans. It is Korean owned but have filipino family working there and due to diving with my 12 yo daughter have to dive in a place where they keep it a bit clean on the business side. We started diving out of Arizona which is one of the best operations here, but trying to explain the naked girls on the floating bar when we got back from diving was a chore. Decided to just call them money monsters.

What your GF says is true and a bit not true when it comes to the NPA. Most of us expats they leave alone as long as you are one of those friendly guys who gets along with everyone. If however, you happen to be one of those type of guys that looks down your nose, there are a few here, then you can find yourself in trouble quick. The Part of Batangas you are headed to is not a place I have been before. The farthest south I have been there is LoBo, Batangas and that was very country. So, I am expecting yours to be even more so. I myself love the country life. The air is cleaner and its really laid back. The draw back comes in the form of shopping for food, Internet, and sometimes electricity. What they call brow outs tend to be very frequent. I have lost many external hard drives and other electronics to these. I now have Battery Backups hooked to everything.
thanks for the info. i get along with everyone i dont show off either. should be great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom