"Hello. Yeah, it's been a while. Not much. How 'bout you?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from this side of the River Jordan. It's been a while since my last visit, and I dearly would
like to be able to say that all is fine, but that is inaccurate. Anywho, some of you might remember my username/know me. Because of an intensive care event in November 2016, my SCUBA days are over, hence I'll sooner or later be posting some stuff for sale. Despite that, I plan to "stick around" and CyberDive as much as possible.

Slàinte mhath dhuibh.

The pub is still going strong.

Welcome back, even if it's for cyber diving :)

Thank ye kindly. Perhaps I shall stroll over to the pub and see what bar-room brawl I can initiate. :confused:

What the hell?!! Where you been? Details, man...

Pains me to see a real solo diver hang up his/her fins.

Downsize! (or is diving out of the realm of reality?)

From "autumn" 2012 to "autumn" 2016, I had a tube in my left ear. Not wanting to take a chance of water accessing my middle ear I remained out of the water. Additionally, I had a cardiac incident in Nov 2012 and was hospitalized for 3 days. Aneurysms were found in my iliac arteries and I was told to not lift anything more than 40 pounds. So, weight lifting was no longer an option, and the combination effectively prevented me from diving.

In Nov 2016, I was again hospitalized, this time for 5 days in Intensive Care. I was diagnosed with Dissected Aorta, Type B. I have been out of work, on temporary disability, since then. It cost me my position, then a job with the company because of the limits of "no more than 15-20 pounds". I swallow 7 presc meds per day to control blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, reduce sodium, and to allow increased blood flow to my legs so I can walk more than a short distance without significant discomfort. Even so, my legs and I tire on hills or stairs and I take a nap each day. On the positive side though I am in much better condition than I was when I was discharged from hospital; it's been a long, slow, recovery.

The surgeon suggested that I consider filing for permanent disability unless I can find a desk-job with very little stress of any type. I am not allowed, and am pretty much incapable, of doing anything which requires jumping around, etc. so exercise other than walking is not possible. The surgeon said in a year or two or three or ... if I am healing then we can discuss increasing my intensity level.

Despite years of exercise, eating correctly, no smoking or drugs, etc. a combination of genetics and stress threw me under the bus. Very sad.

Now, are you not glad you asked?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom