helmet mounting lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishcavediver

Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice on helmet mounting lights for cave diving.
Where should the beams focus on one central point or on two points etc. Does anyone have a website i can look at?

:cheers:

Originally posted by irishcavediver
I need some advice on helmet mounting lights for cave diving.
Helmet mounted lights will make absolutely sure you blind your buddy each and every time you look to see where they are.

This is a very, very bad idea.

Roak

No need for the helmet lights. You will blind your buddy and they are not good for signaling with. Secondly, Why the helmet? How fast are you going?

Eric

Helmet mounted lights are great for commercial diving where you have a single diver working with both hands. For recreational diving they are not so good.

Get a canister light with a Goodman handle on the lighthead and a couple of good backup lights. This should be well covered in your cave training program.

1) i hope you are not a pencil necked geek (your neck will ache)

2) i hope you don't try to look at your buddy (you will blind him/her)

3) i hope you don't intend to signal with your lights (you'll have
a sore neck from shaking/nodding/spinning your head)

This is a great thread. We are finally all in agreement that lights on a helmet is a bad idea.

Why on earth are you wearing a helmet?

Irish,

As you have by now realized, helmets are not generally accepted by the U.S. diving community!

At great risk I will answer your question.... aim them at a single point, centered.

Tom

OK I understand why you wouldn't mount lights on a helmet but surely there are certain cave environments that warrant wearing a helmet - all pictures of dry cavers that I've seen are wearing helmets.

Just my 2 Pence worth.

Dave.

Speaking of helmet mounted lights, has anyone read the "Stepping Up to Tech" in the May edition of Rodale's? There is a photo of a "tech" diver, with 4 lights mounted on his helmet, amongst a huge convolution of gear. There's hoses going places I've got no idea what they're for, and what looks to be two side mounted bottles (in addition to doubles on his back) that appear to be chained together across his chest with carabiners! And some of their weight is being supported on a strap that is underneath a plastic buckle. His manifold is almost level with the top of his head. I'm sure Rodale's could have found a better example of a technical diver, instead of picking the photo of the diver with "the most gear".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom