Help ! 3/4 nights in Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vndomo

New
Reaction score
We will be stopping over at Manado before heading to Raja Ampat for a week, any recommendations on where to dive ? Should we stay at Lembeh or Bankga ? Any recommendations for a mid price dive reosort will be really appreciated. This will be our first trip to Manado.

We will be stopping over at Manado before heading to Raja Ampat for a week, any recommendations on where to dive ? Should we stay at Lembeh or Bankga ? Any recommendations for a mid price dive reosort will be really appreciated. This will be our first trip to Manado.

Your first decision to make is what do you want to see, great critters or great scenic walls etc.

Then you can decide on either Lembeh to Mandao.

Assuming you are flying in to Manado, it takes a little bit more time to get to Lembeh than staying staying and diving from Manado or heading to Bunaken, so wth just 3-4 days, you would probably get more diving in by sticking to the dive sites around Bunaken.

If you love crazy critters though, Lembeh cannot really be beaten, so it might be worth the extra journey time. Both are top quality destinations and there are plenty of mid-range places to stay and dive to choose from.

You could use our directory to contact a few of the dive centres if that's useful, or read up a bit on Bunaken before you make any decision.

Indo Directory
Bunaken Info

Underwaterasia, it does not take so much more time to drive from the airport to Bitung (Lembeh) than to Manado. Actually some of the Manado dive centers are even further away than Lembeh.
Airport - Bitung: 60 -75 minutes by car. To go to one of the 6 dive centers on Lembeh Island an extra 15 minutes by boat.

Sorry VNdomo, forgot to answer you. The corals and fish life at Raja Empat are that good that neither Bangka nor Bunaken can compete. Lembeh however offers a completely different type of diving and underwater life. So in my opinion, the combination Raja Empat - Lembeh is perfect.
Much info about Lembeh and the 10 dive centers you will find on starfish: dive into the coral reef (underwater photos, information about coral reef animals)- Tauche zum Korallenriff (Unterwasser Fotos, Information über Rifftiere

Re: distance to Lembeh.

Maybe go with Indah's advice on this one - he lives there after all. I recall it being further, but maybe I had a slow driver or dozed off for the Manado leg! Thanks Indah.

Folks, Thanks so much for the excellent info. Lembeh and Raja Empat is where we will go.

Sorry VNdomo, forgot to answer you. The corals and fish life at Raja Empat are that good that neither Bangka nor Bunaken can compete. Lembeh however offers a completely different type of diving and underwater life. So in my opinion, the combination Raja Empat - Lembeh is perfect.
Much info about Lembeh and the 10 dive centers you will find on starfish: dive into the coral reef (underwater photos, information about coral reef animals)- Tauche zum Korallenriff (Unterwasser Fotos, Information über Rifftiere

Indah, looks like the Starfish link is full of really useful info about Indonesian diving. Thanks.

Thanks, Indah. Zubi has some gorgeous frogfish pictures. Hope to see some up close & personal. I like that Starfish's page also had suggestions for resorts in Bunaken & Lembeh as well as other areas. I'm still in the information gathering phase of (hopefully) trip planning.

Back
Top Bottom