Help a Solo diver in December, looking for sharks and pigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lriemann

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I plan to visit Miami around the last week of December.

Looking at the map, I realized I won't be far from the Bahamas, famous for sharks.

Ideally, I would like to do a cheap liveaborad- Blackbeard seems very good VFM.
However, due to my dad being very old and sick, I don't want to book before I'm at or near Florida, as there are no refunds.
In any case, my budget for transportation and accommodation is very low- I don't need creature comforts.

So I have two possible plans:
1 Hope there's room on Blackbeard a week or so before I'm in Florida.
2 Get to an island or two and do some shore or boat dives for 3-5 days, then head back to Florida.

What I want to see:
Sharks!
Did 15 Red Sea dives last month and saw zero sharks or Mantas.
I would love to see some sharks, feeding, sleeping, whatever.
Pigs!
I hope pig island is good this time of year.
Not sure if Blackbeard goes there or which island it's close to and can you get excursions there.
Other than that, I like the usual stuff: manta, octopuses, turtles, anything big, lobsters.

Based on this information, here are my questions:

1 Is December a good month for this? Could also do it start of January if it's a big difference.
2 Anyone done pig island and can comment on it?
3 Which island or two are very accessible from Florida/Miami, preferably be ferry, and provide good dives?
4 Are some islands better VFM than others?
5 Any general tips for the area?
6 While in Florida, any great dives for that time of year?

Thank you!

Did you do a liveaboard in the Red Sea or were you land-based diving? We saw sharks during our (one and only) Red Sea LOB trip. The only times we've seen mantas was Kona, HI (and also Jamaica, which was very unusual!)

You can see sharks and lots of fish life in Florida, take a look at Key Largo which is not far from Miami: Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center

I believe that you can cruise from Miami to Grand Bahama/Freeport island on a ferry trip.

You would need to fly to Nassau to board a Blackbeards boat.

Florida and Bahamas water temps are a bit chilly in Dec (upper 70s) and January (lower 70s) but if that doesn't bother you, it should be okay. I haven't been to pig island but others can tell you about it. I think that Blackbeards is good VFM and they might have an open bunk when you need it - or not.

I totally understand your concern about your Father's health and it does make it difficult to plan a trip but I wouldn't leave it to the last minute, especially during the busy high season that runs from around Christmas through Easter.

You could look into trip insurance, it is an added expense but it would give peace of mind, but make sure that the policy you pick will cover cancellation due to family health issues. We always take trip insurance.

In terms of Value for Money, Cozumel is generally economical with good diving but a bit more difficult to get there - but you will probably see some sharks.

good luck!

Let me address your two interests separately.

Sharks:
Sharks are easy. There are lots of areas in Florida that are known for sharks. From what I have read, most of the dives in or near Jupiter are in locations that sharks are frequently found. If you want to see them in the Bahamas, there is no need for a live aboard. A quick trip over to Nassau & Stuart Cove can hook you up. (They will even pick you up at your hotel.) In addition to their "Shark Feeding Dives", a dive on a wreck known as the Ray of Hope will almost certainly let you see Caribbean Reef Sharks and possibly Nurse Sharks.

You might have more luck with a land-based trip to Nassau than a LOB if you are trying to set it up as a last minute trip.

Pigs:
Pigs may be a lot harder. Do not count on Blackbeards to go to "Pig Island". I have been on the Aquacat (operated by the same company) 5 times and we have only made the trip to Pig Island on one of those trips. The island is located in the southern portion of the Exumas Land and Marine Park, right near Staniel Cay. To go there, you will likely have to convince everybody to give up at least one and maybe two of the morning's dives.

Good luck in your quest to find sharks and pigs, but keep in mind that these are wild animals, and there is never any 100% guaranty that you will find them where you expect to.

Keep in mind that you are likely to have more trips in your future, you don't have to do and see everything in one trip - sharks, pigs, mantas, last-minute, cheap and convenient is probably unrealistic for one trip!

Thank you for all the help!

Maybe I can live without the pigs...

I hope i'll get lucky with the liveaboard.

"Keep in mind that you are likely to have more trips in your future, you don't have to do and see everything in one trip - sharks, pigs, mantas, last-minute, cheap and convenient is probably unrealistic for one trip!"

I plan to have more trips but not sure I'll ever reach Florida and Bahamas again.
Will only go to Florida because my friend will be visiting.
I live in Israel and I'm more interested in diving in Asia.
Better VFM and food, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom