HELP? APEKS TX-100 Yoke or DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was finally ready to purchase my first new REG... getting the Sea Quest APEKS TX-100 and to my suprise I found out that it comes in different configurations. What is DIN vs. Yoke... Which do I need and how do I tell?

Thanks guys... can't wait.. by the way I'm buying from DiveInn.com any input on that???

Thanks again :D

First let me say welcome to the ScubaSource family. We're glad to have you aboard! Also glad that you jumped right on in. Here's the answer to your question:

DIN is nothing more than an Industrial Standard from Germany. It stands for Deutsche Institut fuer Normung. DIN's are generally used in Steel cylinders but can be installed on Al as well. It's a much more secure form of attaching the regulators first stage to a cylinder because the o-ring is internal and therefore won't rupture at depth.

Yoke's are more standard than DIN and found in 90% of shops and boats rental inventories. If you plan on only renting the Yoke is more for you. If you are going to purchase steel cylinders down the road there is a better solution:

To get the best of both worlds, pick up your reg with a DIN but purchase a DIN-to-Yoke convertor as well. They run for about $25. This way you can easily switch from DIN valves to Yoke valves is seconds. The vice-versa is more complicated. Switching from Yoke to DIN requires extra steps that can be done in the field but requires a vice and a torque wrench to be done properly.

The only drawback to having a kit on a DIN reg, is that it can stick out an extra 1/2 inch, making it uncomfortable to some. Without a frame of reference this should'nt bother you.

Hope this helps you make a choice.

Wheezy...

Welcome to the boards!

As for your question Mario hit the nail right on the head.... Majority buy the Yoke style since alot of Divers rent tanks and other equipment and the yoke style is very common and you will find that 9 out of 10 shops rent out the yoke style. As for the Diveinn question I would first consider buying it at your LDS (local dive shop) and see if you can work the price down. I relize that the price is cheaper online but you have to relize that if you do have a problem with your regulator you have to mail it to diveinn which is in Spain and there is no telling how long it takes to have a warranty issue handled. Just be real cautious in buying life support equipment online.

Dive Safe......

Aardal

Wheezy,

Nice choice -- I just bought the same reg/octo a few months ago and am very happy with it.

A few additional points on DIN/yoke.

- Some folks say a DIN connection is more secure than yoke
- Rental tanks in US and at Caribbean locations are mostly yoke
- With a TX-100, you can buy yoke and always convert to DIN later
- Buying DIN with DIN-to-yoke adapter lets you use either without a lot of hassle, as Mario said. You can switch back and forth without the adapter, but it something better done in your workshop at home vs. on a sandy beach.

Wow.. thanks guys.. a lot of feedback and so quick. I'm stoked. I'm going to Sport Chalet tonight to check it out and then to my local dive shop to see if I can get that price down.. ($520 as of now Diveinn sells for $327 delivered)

Anyhow I'm leaning towards the DIN and getting the DIN to Yoke converter.. seems to make the most sense .. extra half inch shouldn't bother me.. pretty big guy 6'6" so I'm going to go for it.. now just have to research the warranty thing and find out if I can talk the local shop into servicing it for me..

Thanks again... I'll be seeing you guys/gals around :D

As a former Sport Chalet Dive Manager I can tell you a couple of things about their policy that will arm you with the necessary info to help you.

First, they DO have a price matching policy, but only with local stores that have the product in stock. In fact their policy states that they must call the other store in question. They will not price match with an internet only company.

Second, the store manager has the capability to reduce the price on certain items. He will ask the dive area employee what the cost of the item is and proceed from there. Most of the time, they will not work with you unless you are buying an entire set of gear, which usually consists of reg, gauges, bc and some other smaller items. That said, it won't hurt to ask. Sometimes they get desperate if their numbers are in the red.

Don't forget that their pricing on 95% of the stuff they carry is keystone or better, meaning that they usually get 100% mark-up when they sell a piece of gear.

Armed with that knowledge, you should be able to find yourself a good deal. Good luck.

wheezy
can I add that working at a dive store I found out that all major brands are warrented for life as long as you own it and keep up with your yearly services you wont get that online its some thing to think about when buying reg's and bc's. also I'm fixing to be geting the same reg.
diverjohnz

I'll go against the grain and say definately buy the reg from Dive Inn if your LDS won't work with you (the 100% mark up is right on). First, you don't have to send it back to Spain to get it serviced. If your LDS won't do it (which would be odd) then you can send it to any shop who is a dealer for service. Second, the savings you gain will pay for a whole lot shipping charges. As I recall, Apeks recommends service every two years, but they are notorious for their long lasting reliability. I'm going to buy an R190/MK2 from Dive Inn for $128, and my LDS sells them for $280.

Mike

PS. Definately get it in DIN and the yoke adaptor.

Well.. I went and hit up the local shops tonight... NO DICE. Best price I could get was slightly under $500. Really kind of sucks if you ask me. I'm buying from DiveInn... even had a chance to talk with the sales rep from SeaQuest, nice guy.. not very informative and kept trying to sell me on the ATX200 for only $620 YIKES!!!

Anyhow... I'll save my $300 and buy a Mares BC at the same time... wow.. a brand new dragon fly and a TX-100 for the price of a TX-100 from Sport Chalet... can't beat it.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait.

I will most definitely keep you guys updated on my service with DiveInn and any issues that I may encounter.

Thanks for all the input guys/gals...

:D Take it easy

Wheezy... so you ran into Michael Steidley heh! What did you think of the guy? Right now you must be think holy cow! Tis a small world my friend... tis a small world!

Back
Top Bottom