Help! Can't pee in the water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've personally never had a peeing problem. I've even accidentally peed in my drysuit before when forgetting I had one on (usually dive wet)! Must be hell though and quite painful. I agree with another post - try to "ground" yourself underwater. It really does sound psychological more than anything else. My advise is - don't waste a great dive not being able to enjoy the beauty around you because of the pain involved. Find a zone inside your head and just gently force it. Really - NO ONE knows or cares that you are going because they already have!!!

"K" of RKR3000

Not much more to add. But the relaxing is key to releiving yourself. When I started back diving after having my child, I had to relearn how to pee underwater. Stopping and relaxing wasn't enough. I had to "assume the position," i.e, tell myself that I was sitting down, then actually bending my knees and relaxing. Helps if your buddy is looking the other way also.:)
Chuck, glad to hear you finally pee in your wetsuit....:D

I have the same problem and it is not only when diving I cant pee in the sea even when on my holidays and just getting wet to cool off. Im a UK diver who doesnt own a drysuit but it might solve the problem if you dive dry as everyone else is in the same boat then because you definately cant pee in a dry suit lol.

medic_diver45:
The first question I would have, and I don't mean to pry, but is your wetsuit excessively tight around the area in question? That could physically prevent you from peeing by putting pressure on the urethra and cutting off the flow of urine.

I've seen this resolved by having the person grab their suit in the "area in question" and pull it loose to take the pressure off of their anatomy. It is a little hard to disguise when you are in a group, however. But it does appear to work when it's a physical issue.

I have been known to perform this function underwater and most of the time i find it harder whilst kicking, if i stop kicking for about 4-5 seconds my muscles relax and off i go. Need some sink the stink though :wink: Its just being able to mentally let yourself do it that is the key.

Dring lots of water before getting into water, ladies... This will give you more to pee, and many may not notice this can dilute your urine and less smell left on your wetsuit !!!

You animals :)

I can not pee in my wetsuit also. I want to pee in it and I have attempted to pee in it. Instead I deal with the pain and run for the nearest bush or head after exiting the water.

On a recent live aboard with truth aquatics I got noticed running to the head after every dive. So one evening at dinner it gets brought up how funny it is to see me me running for the head all day long. I tell them I'll proably end up on Jerry Springer one day because I just can't pee in my wetsuit.

My buddy then tells me, "Don't worry Al, I've been peeing in your wetsuit everytime you take it off".

thanks???

The problem with peeing in a wetsuit is that although you get an instant feeling of warmth on your skin, you are actualy lowering your body's core temperature by emptying your bladder. And don't believe for a minute when someone tells you it will rinse out of your suit while you dive. I worked at a dive shop for many years and had to wash a lot of rental suits. You would be surprised how long it takes to wash twenty wetsuits when you have to drain the tub 10-15 times to avoid the hands in the toilet feeling.
991 peeless dives and counting...

My problem is psycological. I have to be the last in a group (no one behind me), then relaxed and in a vertical position. Fins resting on sand works well. Then I visualize my dog peeing in the back yard. Works every time! Colder water seems to have a negative effect too. All of my diving is done with a 3mm shortie, so with a little, er, fanning action, with one of the legs of my suit, I get a flush too.

I am also greatly relieved that there are others out there with the same problem. My husband thinks I'm crazy because as soon as he puts neoprene on he can hardly wait to get to the water to pee. I'm sure my problem is psychological. I have difficulty going in public restrooms if there is not a lot of noise going on. I have peed in my wetsuit, but only twice, and that was on a trip to Key Largo. We were on a boat without a head (my worst nightmare) and were doing 2 tank dives with long surface intervals, and long boat rides to and from the sites. I was in such pain I thought I was going to die (actually I would have prefered that). When I got in for a second dive, I had to really concentrate on peeing and remain motionless. I finally went, and it was wonderful. My biggest problem is that I hold my breath (even on land) to get started.

I've practiced in the shower and I'm fine there. It's when I have a wetsuit on that everything changes. Cold water is the worst - I've never peed in my 7mm wetsuit. We just got drysuits, so I guess I'm already trained for that in at least one area :wink:

Those of us that can't pee in our wetsuits would never lie about it. If we could do it, we would proudly tell anyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom