Help choosing a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm chiming in late, but here goes anyway... I have a fairly prominent proboscis, myself, and I've had good success with these masks:
* Cressi Big Eyes
* Technisub Micromask
* IST M200

I've also used a TUSA mask in the past, but I don't recall the model.
That's funny, i finally picked up a new mask yesterday and got an aqualung technisub micromask. I'm still wet from my first dive with it. I was having problems with it leaking, I assume because of my beard/mustache so I had to pull the strap really tight to stop the leaking. This caused it to dig into my face just above my nose.

I really like the size and field of vision with this mask though so I am going to shave and give it another shot.

Try the MAKO Minimus. Lots of people like them and Dano offer a fit guarantee. I'm going to pick one up one of these days, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I can also recommend the cheap Dive Gear Express mask. It's my primary mask. Only reason I'm looking at getting a MAKO too is because I'm an idiot that likes to buy stuff to see if it's any better.

That's funny, i finally picked up a new mask yesterday and got an aqualung technisub micromask. I'm still wet from my first dive with it. I was having problems with it leaking, I assume because of my beard/mustache so I had to pull the strap really tight to stop the leaking. This caused it to dig into my face just above my nose.

I really like the size and field of vision with this mask though so I am going to shave and give it another shot.
That sounds familiar. If you tighten the T-sub Micromask (and its nose-less version for lap swimming, the Aqua Sphere Seal 2) down, it's gonna get you right between the eyes. I have the same problem if I forget to shave before using it.

Even just shaving the small area right below the nose (not necessarily the entire moustache) so that your mask sits on flesh and not hair will help. Other than that a lot of bearded/moustached people swear by applying petroleum jelly to the affected area of the moustache where the mask sits to aid the seal.

Personally I would prefer the slight adjustment to my facial hair than having my mask too tight. The strap should really just be lightly holding it in place and not causing it to dig in. It might seem a minor discomfort at the moment but as your dives get longer (as they inevitably will as with experience generally comes better air consumption and longer dive times) I can see it being more of a pain.

99% of the masks I've tried don't fit me. Between the Cro-magnon man forehead and deepset eyes, most are a no-go. The 1972 ish aqualung "rescue" mask fits by far the best. The XS Scuba Cortez is a close second. Neither are low volume but comfort on a 90 minute dive is worth it.

Aqua Lung Wraparound Mask, Black

XS Scuba Cortez Mask

Good luck.
Jay

Even just shaving the small area right below the nose (not necessarily the entire moustache) so that your mask sits on flesh and not hair will help. Other than that a lot of bearded/moustached people swear by applying petroleum jelly to the affected area of the moustache where the mask sits to aid the seal.

Personally I would prefer the slight adjustment to my facial hair than having my mask too tight. The strap should really just be lightly holding it in place and not causing it to dig in. It might seem a minor discomfort at the moment but as your dives get longer (as they inevitably will as with experience generally comes better air consumption and longer dive times) I can see it being more of a pain.
Awesome tip with the petroleum jelly. I will give it a try next time I get out. I would rather not have to.alter my facial hair but I will if I have to.

People come in all shapes and sizes and there are many masks to choose from that account for different face shapes, head sizes, and nose shapes.

The nose enclosure, or nose pocket, is important when considering fit. A flexible nose pocket allows divers to pinch their nose and equalize easily, whilst the right shape prevents water from entering the mask under the nose. This is especially important for helping to prevent panic in new divers who may be uncomfortable with the feeling of any water around their nose.

I have a small normal sized nose. After a number of dives, the base of my nose can be sore. More often than not, it's because I've not paid enough attention to the placement on my face as well as to strap placement on back of my head.

There are a number of threads about the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom