Help deciding in wetsuit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Disal

We don't know how much diving experience you have, however given your question, probably not a lot.

You need to know how comfortable you are in specific temperatures i.e. 70F 80F etc., and that would be my starting point.

Also how many dives do you plan to do? One dive a day or multiple dives per day over multiple days?

So what's your current experience with temperature and thickness of wetsuit?

Thanks guys. Would the Scubapro Everflex 3mm work well for Hawaii?

For what temperature? Hawaii waters have different temperatures depending time of the year you are going to be diving there. It varies a great deal. 3mm suit may be sufficient during the summer time but may not be so during the winter. You have to know when and where you are going and then find out what the water temperature is during that time of the year for you to be able to determine what wetsuit thickness will be most suitable for that temperature.

I have actually dived for many years with about 100 dives so far. I have never cared for gear much since I mostly dive when I travel and always rent gears. I probably used a 3mm rental full/shorty before in HI and it was fine during winter time. I normally do 4 dives, 2 each a day back to back or a day apart.

I was hoping to get some creative solution for for both warm and cold water but there seems to be none. The Scubapro Everflex 3mm is rated for 60-75F. HI temperature is 65-80 so I thin the suit should work.

Hi, I live in CA and normally dive when I travel warm water areas like Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico (Cozumel, Cenotes). I also plan to dive in cold water areas like Monterey Bay.

I’m looking for a wetsuit for my upcoming trip to Oahu and Kauai in HI. I was thinking to get the 7mm so I can also use it for Monterey Bay but people say I’ll be roasted in 7mm in HI. That leaves the options of 3 or 5 mm. Which one should I get so I can dive all seasons in those warm places I mentioned above including winter year end around xmas and new year.

is there an option for me to use the wetsuit for both warm and cold water so I dont have to have 2 set of suits? Thanks
Take into account acclimatization if you intend staying for a week. Without knowing your Body mass index, I would say 5 mm over the 3 mm. But you can always hire if most of your diving is cold water.

I would use a 5/4 full suit back zip with a hooded vest in Hawaii. The hood vs no hood is what will make a huge difference since you lose a ton of heat out of the top of your head.
Even if I was diving a three mil shorty for instance in 80 something degree water, I think I would still put a hooded vest under it.
Even if I wasn’t using any suit I would still use a hooded vest.
Might look goofy but I’d be warm.

I was hoping to get some creative solution for for both warm and cold water but there seems to be none. The Scubapro Everflex 3mm is rated for 60-75F. HI temperature is 65-80 so I thin the suit should work.

Unfortunately there is no one size fits all solution to this subject.

But seriously who rated a 3mm suit for 60-75F (15.5-23.8C), I and several people that I dive with regularly would be in drysuits in that temperature range.

For the range you have quoted for Hawaii I would still look at using a drysuit but on the upper temperatures a 5mm would suffice.
I have actually dived for many years with about 100 dives so far. I have never cared for gear much since I mostly dive when I travel and always rent gears. I probably used a 3mm rental full/shorty before in HI and it was fine during winter time. I normally do 4 dives, 2 each a day back to back or a day apart.

Did you log what the temperatures were and what thickness the suit was that you used?

In roughly a hundred dives in Hawaii I have never seen (or even heard of) anyone diving dry. Most use 3 or 5 mm. A 7mm wouldn't be terribly uncomfortable in Hawaii, and might be sufficient in Monterey Bay if you don't do a lot of repetitive dives. (This from a guy who's dived Point Lobos in a 4/3 surfing wetsuit with hood.) As most others have mentioned, it varies greatly among individuals.

In roughly a hundred dives in Hawaii I have never seen (or even heard of) anyone diving dry. Most use 3 or 5 mm. A 7mm wouldn't be terribly uncomfortable in Hawaii, and might be sufficient in Monterey Bay if you don't do a lot of repetitive dives. (This from a guy who's dived Point Lobos in a 4/3 surfing wetsuit with hood.) As most others have mentioned, it varies greatly among individuals.

Will it be too hot in a 7mm in Hawaii?

I believe in layering.
Vest with hood is a MUST.
Wet suit must be snug fit especially under the armpit area!!
Gloves also help if allowed to use.
Thickness is impossible to gauge for individual.
You may also raise the question with the local operator for suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom