Help deciding on Nikon 1 J4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoe123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a relatively new diver, but have been into photographer for 5-6 years(currently shooting a D7100).

I currently have a GoPro Hero, that I've used for snorkeling, but no lights, filters, etc..

I picked up a WP-N3 recently for around $70 new(couldn't help myself, given what underwater housings normally go for), with the original plan to find a used Nikon 1 J4 in the next couple of months.

My planned usage would be primarily on shallow reefs, with something like a 70/30 mix of video/pictures, and an occasional wreck dive.

Okay, so here are my questions:

1) How does the video performance of the Hero, Hero3+, Hero4 and J4 compare?
2) I noticed the flash sync speed on the J4 is only 1/60, that seems a little slow unless the fish are going to pose for me. Anyone have experience working with this?
3) Would I be better off dropping the WP-N3 housing and getting a hero3+ or hero4?

Anything else I should consider?

I am shooting the complete Nikon J-4 system with Nikon UW housing and Nikon strobe.
GREAT success and love the system....still and video are excellent.
If you want a faster sync, run the system in manual. I use aperture priority of F8...11 and the TTL on the Nikon and Sea and Sea YS-D02 and it works great. The Auto-ISO compensates and makes all shots perfectly exposed.

but I will revert back to DSLR. It just feels better to me.

I'll second his post.

It's kit lens low light performance is pretty bad (but beats a gopro 4 at least)

Perhaps the wide angle lens of the gopro will be missed, otherwise I find the j4 superior in every way.

I miss my dslr when underwater but haven't taken the plunge on one yet.

As a side note the waterproof rating is on the conservative side by a considerable margin.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom