Help finding seahorses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be in Bonaire in June. In our 10+ years of diving (only 1-2 trips per year...sigh), only I have been the finder of a seahorse. We have seen others that were found by people we are diving with but not much luck on our own. Seahorses are my wife's favorite and I would love to be able to steer her in the right direction so she "finds" one herself ;-)
Any tips/tricks/suggestions to finding them, especially in the waters of Bonaire?

They tend to hang out in the same place for quite a while, ask your operator

They tend to hang out in the same place for quite a while, ask your operator
Everyone I have found has been near the base of a rope sponge so that is where I look for them.

There are not a lot, and they are hard to find. Found 3 once at the base of a Gorgonian. Pointed 3 buddies at the 'bush' (about 3' tall), and gave them the seahorse sign. Still took them 10" to find them knowing exactly where to look.
Kind of the same with Frogfish there. Tough to find.

They should be called "seehorses", because they're wherever you happen to see them. On Bonaire I've found them anywhere from 8' to 80' deep attached to staghorn coral, soft coral, sponges, and even attached to small structures in the sand. I've come across them at most shore dive sites from Andrea 1 south to Margate Bay.

This little guy here was hanging out in the shallows near the public entry at Bari Reef, near the ruins of the old concrete structure, a few years ago. While I was casually (i.e not obviously) watching it several divers and snorkelers passed through the area and never even knew it was there.

vlcsna10.jpg

The Cliff used to be our go-to place to find them, but improvements to DFB's shop there in recent years have increased diver traffic and they're harder to find. We almost always find one or two hanging on soft coral in the "boring" areas between the groups of pier pilings at Salt Pier. As mentioned above the trick to finding them is to dive slowly and look everywhere. Then look closer. Same for finding frogfish. Either can magically appear in front of your eyes where you swore they weren't there a few seconds ago.

I'm firmly convinced that the primary reason they disappeared from The Cliff was due to pressure from a steady stream of divers getting in their cute little horse faces, especially overzealous macro photographers with bright strobe lights. Several times on Bonaire I've discovered a seahorse and returned the next day to show my wife or a friend, only to find their "home" damaged and the seahorses gone.

And then I see photos and videos like below posted on the web. :eek:

grab0110.jpg

And then I see photos and videos like below posted on the web. :eek:
Yeah that hurts... ! Worse if you see it live yet... and if you choose to have a conversation after, no matter how pleasant you try, you are imposing and wondering all along if to any effect at all.
Where is that somehow 6' far UW squirtable fire coral imitation sting elixir, extra strength, when you need it...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom