Help for older eyes needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the diveoptix ones in my mask. They've been there since 2014 and continue to work just fine.

I have no idea how they work, but mine do.

I put them there because I, like most, needed a little help reading gauges. And they were perfect for that. More recently I've started trying to take some photos, and find that I really can't see the little viewfinder panel on the back of the camera, but if I tilt my head back, uncomfortably, I can see it thru the lenses. Not a very good solution.

I don't know where the next step goes. I'm 20/20 out past about 5 feet, not so good up close, so full mask lenses doesn't seem to be the answer.

OPTX Hydrotac stick-ons.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Magnifying-Magnifier-Koala-Magnification/dp/B06X9LWCSS/?th=1

They work great - as long as you let them get totally dry before you dive with them (as others already said).

They do (I believe) make the regular version and also a "Dive" version. I have only used the regular version. From what I read, the regular version is 1.5" wide and the dive version is 2" wide. For me, the regular version is plenty wide and I would not want them to be any wider.

Reactions: pez
Thanks. I will try one of those brands. Any issue with them being annoying for the part of the dive when you're not looking at your gauges? I plan to stick them as low as I can in my mask, unless there's a certain point where they're too low.

Like gbf, I'm fine past a couple of feet. The typical foot away my computers are has become fuzzy.

And once they are "dry" can you add defog or similar to the mask like usual?

My defog is spit, also a dehydration check, and use the same as as I always cleaned my mask, without issue.

Are you talking about the diveoptx ones? They say they use no adhesive. How does that work?

It's made like a suction cup where it is placed on the glass, once it is dry it it's hard to unsuction. I have taken them off very carefully and reused them on a new mask where they are still, after several years.

Bob

Looks like DiveOptx are actually made by Hydrotac. I think I'll try the Hydrotac. Apparently they're a little smaller, which I think I'd prefer in order to keep them less intrusive/

Thanks. I will try one of those brands. Any issue with them being annoying for the part of the dive when you're not looking at your gauges?

Sometimes. Fortunately, they are easy to remove and reposition. :)

I have a new mask that I may put a set of these in. My plan is to do them differently this time.

Instead of having the flat part of the stick-on being horizontal (like normal bifocal glasses), I'm thinking that I will put the flat part up against the side, against my nose. I will cut off the lower part of the stick-on, so that it will butt up flush against the bottom part of the mask.

In other words, make them look like the gauge reader portion of this mask:

Dive Rite Gauge Reader Mask

Instead of how I have done it before, where it looks more like this (sort of):

DGX Rio Gauge Reader Mask

This would explain a lot. I just thought my arms had got shorter!

One of the guys I dive with wears one corrective contact lens. I really don't fancy it but he reckons his optician recommended it. Apparently the brain works it out so you can still focus near and far.

Not saying this is good idea, just thought it was an unusual alternative. Don't try this at home kids!

Sometimes. Fortunately, they are easy to remove and reposition. :)

I have a new mask that I may put a set of these in. My plan is to do them differently this time.

Instead of having the flat part of the stick-on being horizontal (like normal bifocal glasses), I'm thinking that I will put the flat part up against the side, against my nose. I will cut off the lower part of the stick-on, so that it will butt up flush against the bottom part of the mask.

In other words, make them look like the gauge reader portion of this mask:

Dive Rite Gauge Reader Mask

Instead of how I have done it before, where it looks more like this (sort of):

DGX Rio Gauge Reader Mask
I’ve tried that, didn’t care for it but haven’t further experimented, I think I have a Tulsa make set up like this (the DR type)

No one suggested it yet so I will... First, I wear reading glasses and my wife can't read anything at all without reading glasses.

Consider getting a Perdix AI dive computer. Its huge and bright and should allow you to read it underwater. In addition, it is Air integrated so you get pressure on its big display too. I personally dont even use a SPG anymore.

The bonus is you can read your computer, your "SPG" and you get a top notch computer. The con is these are not cheap.

I once had a women on a dive boat come up and tell me she could see my PSI from like 10 feet away underwater (she was shocked) and started a discussion on how I used less air than her. If she could not have read the Perdix she would never have started the conversation.

I've used the stick on 'cheaters' for over ten years (DiveOptx). I did eventually get a prescription mask because of some vision problems that aren't old age related, but I have a set of the stick-ons in my backup mask, and I carry a set of them when I travel just in case something happens to my prescription mask. Although this is almost trivial, you have to look carefully to make sure you are putting the flat (instructions call it the concave) side against the mask lens, otherwise they won't stick at all. I have moved them between masks, I have trimmed/cut them to make them fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom