Help for older eyes needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one suggested it yet so I will... First, I wear reading glasses and my wife can't read anything at all without reading glasses.

Consider getting a Perdix AI dive computer. Its huge and bright and should allow you to read it underwater.

There is often more to see that is up close and small than just one's computer.

I can read my Shearwaters just fine without reader lenses. But, what about reading the LCD display on my camera? Or having a nice look at a nudibranch from up close.

I currently own 5 Shearwater computers. But, they are not for everyone and I do not believe they are the answer to "my computer is too small and I can't read it."

How close are you getting to that Nuddi? :wink:

Even those young DMs that are nuddi addicts carry a magnifying glass :)

How close are you getting to that Nuddi? :wink:

Even those young DMs that are nuddi addicts carry a magnifying glass :)

If I get close enough to see anything on a nudi, it's going to be blurry without some specs. :)

Sometimes. Fortunately, they are easy to remove and reposition. :)

I have a new mask that I may put a set of these in. My plan is to do them differently this time.

Instead of having the flat part of the stick-on being horizontal (like normal bifocal glasses), I'm thinking that I will put the flat part up against the side, against my nose. I will cut off the lower part of the stick-on, so that it will butt up flush against the bottom part of the mask.

In other words, make them look like the gauge reader portion of this mask:

Dive Rite Gauge Reader Mask

Instead of how I have done it before, where it looks more like this (sort of):

DGX Rio Gauge Reader Mask

Interesting idea. The annoyance factor has made me push off adding them. I like your idea.

Consider getting a Perdix AI dive computer. Its huge and bright and should allow you to read it underwater. In addition, it is Air integrated so you get pressure on its big display too. I personally dont even use a SPG anymore.

Between my wife and I we have/had 2 Predators, 2 Petrels, 2 Petrel 2s and 1 Perdix. Of all of them the Predator has the far superior screen with the teric a close second. The screens on petrels and perdixes are much tougher to read clearly than a predator or teric.

While I highly recommend everybody own shearwaters, don't expect it to solve the issue much. I'm 42 and I feel like my vision's deteriorated alot in the past 6 months eventhough my eye exam says it hasn't changed much since my last visit. I'm having trouble with seeing my teric, petrels, and predator. The predator is definitely the easiest for me to see.

Have you tried a cheap mask with a weak reading prescription (+1.0)? It acts stronger underwater and the distance blur above water is also reduced.

So, I had resisted getting progressive glasses for awhile. Now I really need the reader part of my glasses to see small print.

What do you all recommend as an insert into a mask to help read DC or gauges? I have seen things you can glue onto the mask lens. Or do I get prescription lenses?

Thoughts?:watching:
I use the Attach-A-Lens brand of readers. They attach with an adhesive gasket. They work quite well. They make the digits on my DC much clearer. Where they really shine is looking at the tiny critters in and around the coral. They are like little magnifying glasses. I find they are prone to fogging and the pool seems worse than diving in Caribbean waters. However when on a dive boat I will liberally use their defog and clean the mask 2-3 times (get rid of all oils, dirt and sunscreen residue on the mask and on your fingers) and it is much better to absent.

I found those stick-on jobs were ok, except when I was on a trip and my mask always ended up in a slop-bucket for some reason. Too much wet, too much soap. They eventually came out, and who has time to let a mask dry on a vacation. Eventually I sent my mask off someplace to have cheeters glued in and they're much better. Of course if my prescription changes, I'm into a good deal more expense than new stick-ons.

I also bought a Petral.... big bright numbers. Although I can read Mrs. Stoo's Perdix from 8' away better than I can see mine! ;-)

So, I had resisted getting progressive glasses for awhile. Now I really need the reader part of my glasses to see small print.

What do you all recommend as an insert into a mask to help read DC or gauges? I have seen things you can glue onto the mask lens. Or do I get prescription lenses?

Thoughts?:watching:

Been there, Done That, (finally) Bought the Mask.

My diving litany goes from uncorrected to contact lenses to Lasik to ground-in readers to full script in the lenses.

I am currently diving a Seavision color-correcting, full progressive prescription-ground mask.

Welcome to the Club.

My wife converted me to Seavision with a new reader only mask. As my vision continued to decline, I found that I could see better for long range by looking through the readers. Finally bit the bullet and went full script.

8 or 9 years ago I finally went all the way and got B&L Crystalens AO Lenses inserted into my eyes. 3 months later, I had Lasik done to remove the 3.5 doipters of astigmatism that were left over. Now my vision is rated at 115% of perfect, I can focus as close as 20cm, and everything is in focus. Won't ever get cataracts either. If for some unforseen reason my eyesight degrades below 100% (20/20) I've been promised free livetime corrective surgery.

The Crystalens IOL is an intraocular lens that is focused by the normal muscles in your eye. After each operation I avoided diving for a month (following the reccomendations for avoiding contact sports like boxing) and was doing 100m Dives within 6 weeks after the operations.

Wasn't cheap, but it was the best money I ever spent on myself (and that includes the 120K$ of dive gear I own).
Now at almost 62, I'm still able to thread a needle, do soldering of SMD circuits, and see perfectly at all distances.

Practically every optical surgon can do cataract surgery, very few have the extra training in order to implant the B&L Crystalens, so it isn't cheap, but in my case it was worth both the price and the effort.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom