Help for older eyes needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The right one corrects for distance vision, the left one corrects for close vision and is +1.5 diopters different from my distance correction. I get a mite seasick the first hour or so that I'm wearing them, but after that I'm fine.

Insert them 1 hour before getting on the boat. You're welcome.

Insert them 1 hour before getting on the boat. You're welcome.
It takes more than an hour from when I get up in the morning, brush my teeth and insert my contacts to when I'm boarding the boat or parking at the site, so no worries here.

You don't what?

Sorry about that I lost tracking of what i was typing as i had one of the dog's clawing at me. Anyways I was saying I don't know if it I was a little myopic.

So you get seasick before you even get on the boat?
I don't get seasick on the boat

If you wore glasses only for distance prior to needing reading glasses then the answer is most likely yes.
Roughly as many people are hyperopic as the number or who are myopic. And then there's those with astigmatism, but neither myopia nor hyperopia. So "wearing glasses" isn't any kind of indication of what kind of correction a person needs.

However, if someone deliberately takes off their glasses to see properly at close range, you can probably safely bet that the person is 1: myopic and 2: presbyopic

Roughly as many people are hyperopic as the number or who are myopic. And then there's those with astigmatism, but neither myopia nor hyperopia. So "wearing glasses" isn't any kind of indication of what kind of correction a person needs.

If a person has worn glasses only for distance, and then, as they approach their early to mid 40's, starts to need reading glasses, then myopia is by far the most likely scenario. If they were hyperopic, they would have needed glasses prior to early 40s, and astigmatism while certainly being one possibility (which is why I said "most likely" myopia in the earlier post), is not as likely because astigmatism is not as common as myopia or hyperopia and significant astigmatism would also cause near vision blur prior to early 40s.

However, if someone deliberately takes off their glasses to see properly at close range, you can probably safely bet that the person is 1: myopic and 2: presbyopic

You'd lose your bet in the case of someone with mild to moderate astigmatism and a patient who requires a prismatic correction strictly for distance, typically in the case of esotropia.

I've never liked the vinyl stick ons that can come off in the bucket and are, optically, not that great. They are better than nothing, but you get what you pay for.

These are a little more expensive, but far better: https://www.amazon.com/MAGNI-VIEW-M...UTF8&qid=1549570859&sr=8-3&keywords=magniview

The pictures in the listing are not that helpful, but it's a round piece of glass, flat on one side and ground on the other. Comes in a couple of strengths. You use the included adhesive, which cures in UV light (a couple of minutes outside in the sun). It works really well if you're careful and the cheater can only be removed with a lot of effort. It will never come off by accident. It's basically permanent and the clue is crystal clear. Once installed, it looks like it was ground along with the rest of the lens.

The optics are way better than the cheaper ones. I put in the bottom of the mask, one on each side, to read computers or camera settings. Crystal clear and works great. You can buff, defog and clean to your heart's content without worry. It's more expensive (and only one comes in the package), but I have them in 3 or 4 masks and love them.

Only caveat is that while its perfect for reading a computer or camera, it's a smallish "porthole" of correction. If you're looking for something that will let you look for small critters and need a broader field of view, then a corrective mask is about the only option.

Back
Top Bottom