[Help!] Hyrdo every year and servicing (Australia)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

russella

Reaction score
This is my first time getting my gear serviced in Australia. I've moved here from the US. I recently took my dive gear into a local dive shop here in Perth WA. I was told by them that in Australia it is a requirement to Hyrdo your tank every year. I was always under the impression that it was every 5 years, and only a visual every year. So is what they said true?

I'm also concerned about the pricing I'm being charged for my gear being serviced. I had my Spare Air tank serviced and I'm being charged $142 for that. $73.10 for my Zeagle Regulator, $30 for my air tank cylinder, and $15 for my BC (that's a guess by the tech, hasn't come back yet). Do these prices sound normal for here, or am I getting ripped off?

Either way I don't think I'll ever use them again. I'm still waiting on an item I ordered 6+ months ago that was the wrong item. They sent it back and still haven't gotten the correct one. I had to chase them up about it and never got a call. Same with my gear, haven't gotten a single call to let me know any of it was back.

Can anybody recommend a good dive shop in the Perth area? Thanks everyone!!

Sounds expensive, even if it is in $A.
Yes, Australia requires a hydro every year.

I believe the five year hydro is a requirement by the US Dept. of Transportation (DOT) and, of course, does not apply in Australia (or anywhere else outside this country). Interesting that Australia requires an annual hydro, but they seem to be more safety conscious than US agencies... and, in general, I think that is a good thing.

If the prices are all in $Australian, I'd need to know the current exchange rate to comment. The last time I was there the exzchange rate was 2 $Aus for 1 $US so those prices don't seem bad at that rate, but I know the dollar has slid since then.

russella:
This is my first time getting my gear serviced in Australia. I've moved here from the US. I recently took my dive gear into a local dive shop here in Perth WA. I was told by them that in Australia it is a requirement to Hyrdo your tank every year. I was always under the impression that it was every 5 years, and only a visual every year. So is what they said true?

I'm also concerned about the pricing I'm being charged for my gear being serviced. I had my Spare Air tank serviced and I'm being charged $142 for that. $73.10 for my Zeagle Regulator, $30 for my air tank cylinder, and $15 for my BC (that's a guess by the tech, hasn't come back yet). Do these prices sound normal for here, or am I getting ripped off?

Either way I don't think I'll ever use them again. I'm still waiting on an item I ordered 6+ months ago that was the wrong item. They sent it back and still haven't gotten the correct one. I had to chase them up about it and never got a call. Same with my gear, haven't gotten a single call to let me know any of it was back.

Can anybody recommend a good dive shop in the Perth area? Thanks everyone!!

The good news is that the diving in Australia is awesome. The bad news is that buying and servicing gear is outrageous. Just be glad you brought your own gear in from the US.

I moved from the US to Sydney about 18 months ago. The prices you are quoting are not bad. I paid $40-45 each to hydro my tanks (yes, annually!) and I think a BC service is about $25 locally.

Regarding the delivery times, remember everything has to come from halfway around the world to get to Perth. There are only a few wholesalers and they have a stranglehold on distribution and pricing.

Just keep telling yourself "great diving, great diving, great diving!"

Hello russella

Give me a call, my company CCRdiving is the sole importer of Zeagle Diving Systems and other brands into Australia and NZ, only too happy to help you out with your gear servicing.

I agree in the past it has been very pricey to both purchase and service dive gear in Australia, we are doing our best to bring pricing more inline with the States.

Cheers
Chriso

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom