Help ID these please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you've got in the first picture. Yuk, what is that?

As for photo #2, where are the eggs? That stuff in the center is a branching anemone, probably. If they hurt when you touched them, that's likely what they are.

Dennis,

Great picture of that first blob. I have often thought about it and wondered what it was. Hopefully, someone can ID it!

The first is a clump of sea slug eggs; the second is as Arch said the branching anemone Lebrunia danae. What looks like eggs in the anemone shot are external knobs which contain the stinging cells (nematocysts).

I agree picture #2 is branching anemone Lebrunia danae. THANK YOU
I'm still not sure that picture #1 is sea slug eggs.
That whatever is was is much bigger than any other egg clumps I was able to find searching the web. It was 2 feet or better long and 1 foot or better high. Notice the sponge behind it, this was not small.
Everything I have seen on the web is much smaller.
If you have a link to similar pictures please post.

That is huge. Egg masses of some sea hares in the genus Aplysia have been reported as "football size" (= American football) but their organization is usually compared to tangled spagetti. Why don't you send the image to the Sea Slug Forum and see if you can get a better answer? www.seaslugforum.net

LeslieH:
That is huge. Egg masses of some sea hares in the genus Aplysia have been reported as "football size" (= American football) but their organization is usually compared to tangled spagetti.
Our Caribbean Aplysia doesn't get nearly as big as some of those California monsters, but I have no clue how big their egg masses are.

Wow, this sea slug forum is wonderful! The aussies just keep on surprising.

Hello everyone I posted this picture in the critter ID section but after 4 days still no ID. I think there is more traffic in here so I'm hoping someone has seen this before. I also contacted the sea slug forum as it was suggested that it maybe a sea slug eggs. I could be wrong but I don't think a sea slug laid all these.

The object is approx. 2' long x 1' high
The picture was taken in the daytime during the Scubaboard trip to Bonaire.
Any help would appreciated.

Unknown_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom