Help identify first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenro84

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently got this used first stage and I’m wondering if it’s missing a screw. I tried looking it up on the mares website with no luck. I’m hoping maybe you can help me? Thank you!
IMG_5133.jpeg

This is a Mares MR22. I'm not entirely sure which screw you think it missing.

You'll find the Schematics in the attached manual.

Attachments

• MR22 - Service Manual (2003).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Tanks a lot, tanks! It’s missing the top screw. In the schematics file you attached it appears to be part number 81 the first stage cover.

That screw pretty much holds all the working parts of this regulator inside besides the diaphragm and bias spring.

Just make sure the inner workings like the seat/poppet and orifice, as well as the counterbalance chamber are still in there.

Maybe that is the screw? I have a hard time telling although in the schematics it does show an Allen wrench to take the that top screw out. It’s about a 3/4” deep hole which is what’s confusing me.

Attachments

• IMG_5138.jpeg
    IMG_5138.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 42
I think you are reading the schematics a little wrong. The picture you show depicts part #17, not #81. This side of your regulator looks perfectly fine. That hole is supposed to be there, as it allows your regulator diaphragm to sense ambient pressure.
This makes your regulator not environmentally sealed, which is the way it was designed. The MR22 can be without an environmental seal, as yours, or you can put one on or buy it right with one - Probably more "could have bought" by now, but the same still holds true for many many regulators on the market today, they come in two version, sealed or unsealed.

CWD.jpg

To make it environmentally sealed, you would swap part #17 for #57, #58 and #59. Depending on the type of diving you do, this may make sense or not. Very cold environments would benefit greatly from adding the environmental seal for example. Some people like to have them sealed for shore dives, while others just say they thoroughly rinse out that 3/4" hole you described.

The two attached PDFs apply to the Mares CWD (Cold Water Diving Kit), which is the read circled parts.

Attachments

• Cold Water Diving Kit - Schematics (1998).pdf
    70.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Coldwater Diving Kit - Installation Manual (2004).pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 54
Oh ok. I see now. Thank you so much for explaining that to me! I appreciate you very much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom