Help Identify Spotted Sea Snake/EEL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jifi

Registered
Reaction score
Citizen of the world, currently in Northeast USA
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
Was in Aruba and saw this spotted snake/eel. In person it look tan and cream/white spotted. Never saw the head. I did an internet search, but haven't found what it is. Hoping for a little help.

Are there a lot of them? Or am I just incredibly lucky?

Thanks,
Jifi

Attachments

• P7300157.jpg
    P7300157.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 4,920
Lot's of them in Bonaire's waters, though that doesn't necessarily rule out your being lucky in Aruba. It's a Sharptail eel, often seeing hunting and tends to attract many hangers-on who wait for it to scare out some dinner that the scroungers then can grab. Huh, kinda reminds me of some friends I know... :eyebrow: // ww

Attachments

• Sharptail eel.jpg
    Sharptail eel.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Hunting partners.jpg
    Hunting partners.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,279
Last edited:
Lot's of them in Bonaire's waters, though that doesn't necessarily rule out your being lucky in Aruba. It's a Sharptail eel, often seeing hunting and tends to attract many hangers-on who wait for it to scare out some dinner that the scroungers then can grab. Huh, kinda reminds me of some friends I know... :eyebrow: // ww

All true.

A very common eel in Bonaire.......

Thanks all! Is there any good sites I should use to identify critters I will be seeing underwater?

best thing to do is the buy the Caribbean ID books by Paul Humann, you will learn so much and have photos of almost every fish in Caribbean.
get the Fish ID, Coral ID, Creature ID, and the Fish Behavior books.
Amazon.com: Reef Fish Identification: Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas (9781878348302): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books

we learned most of the fish by using these books. One trick we learned to help us was to look at the Fish ID book for example and pick out 5 new fish we have never seen before that we might see on our next trip (the books tell you what area of Carib they are found). Then we write them down on a slate, repeat with Creature book, then we go on the trip and mark them off as we find them. Also, we all take photos or videos, so when we get back from a trip, the books come out to identify everything. It is really the best way to learn...:D

best thing to do is the buy the Caribbean ID books by Paul Humann, you will learn so much and have photos of almost every fish in Caribbean.
get the Fish ID, Coral ID, Creature ID, and the Fish Behavior books.
Amazon.com: Reef Fish Identification: Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas (9781878348302): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books

we learned most of the fish by using these books. One trick we learned to help us was to look at the Fish ID book for example and pick out 5 new fish we have never seen before that we might see on our next trip (the books tell you what area of Carib they are found). Then we write them down on a slate, repeat with Creature book, then we go on the trip and mark them off as we find them. Also, we all take photos or videos, so when we get back from a trip, the books come out to identify everything. It is really the best way to learn...:D

I agree with the books. I own all of them but have never purchased one.

Anytime a little birdie or Santa Claus wants Christmas or Birthday ideals I present the order page from Amazon for one of these books or something similiar - thus I get what I would prefer.

ReefNet Inc. has, if I understand correctly, joined forces with Humann/DeLoach. The current version of Reefnet's DVD, "Reef Fish ID: Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas - Interactive Edition" reflects that joint effort. It provides a lot of additional information (e.g., many more still photos, videos) not available in the book and has started to solve some issues related to differences of opinion and/or presentation that existed between the book and the original CD/DVD info. I find the book easiest to use because I know its layout pretty well. On the other hand, many ID issues are resolved by all the extra info in the DVD. The present DVD is the 4th edition.

I would second the ReefNet software & DVD. If you take your laptop along, the software can be on it and the dvd is great for when you can't be wet or have a loooong surface interval. The software has a very user friendly organization to it and finding things is a breeze (do watch the intro video though--BIG help for using the software).

There are typically several images of each listing, often a short video clip. The software takes the Humann/deLoach mega-effort book series to another level. It allows for several ways to ID and find things, even if you can only recall one or two details. Nice to browse through also, even if you don't have something to look up. The dvd is almost worth it on it's own--amazing amounts of footage of critters along w/ nomenclature etc. A very worthwhile investment--we quit taking the books along on dive trips after we got this! // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom