Help identify this Suunto computer please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 487858 Hi all,

I’m new to Scubaboard but I’ve been creeping and reading for a while now. I recently got back into diving after a fairly long hiatus. I’m currently shopping for equipment. A coworker of mine is selling this computer. Only problem is that he has no documentation and can’t remember the exact model. To me it looks closest to a Cobra 2 or 3, but the red and black dotted bar on the left side is inverted from all the pics I’ve seen online (red on top instead of bottom), and it seems odd that it’s mounted in a full console given that the Cobra 2 and 3 are air integrated and have a built in compass. Has anyone ever seen either of those computers mounted like this. Also, can anyone positively identify which one it is?

Regards,
Corey
You are only asking about the computer?!? Is he only selling the computer, or the rest of the set too? From the little I can see of the 2nd stages in the background, that Sherwood regulator is no spring chicken...

I suspect 3-5 generations old. Service kits still available, but if any other part needs replacement you may very well be SOL.

But if the price is right...

A couple of things you can check from the front, if taking the module out is problematic. First, I don't think that there is an About screen in the menu, and it looks older than any Novo model.

1. No backlight, just glow in the dark? It is a Zoop, maybe a Gekko. Gekko does not have connection for download cable.
  2. Digital compass, backlight, and 2 gases, probably Vyper 2.
  3. Backlight, no compass, 1 gas is Vyper, but I think that is a 3 button model.
  4. We are assuming that no one would mount a Vyper Air in a console, but I suppose it is possible.

It could be a Cobra 3. They are 4 button computers mounted in consoles. But I've not seen one without the rubber button covers so it's hard to tell for sure.

It's definitely not a Gekko or Zoop. Both of those are 3 button computers.

Download the manual for the Cobra 3 and see if it the functions on the compter match up with it.

The spg below the computer means it is not hose air integrated. Not a Cobra.
Yeah, you're right. Pardon the brain fart.

So other than that, the only Suunto I can find that is 4 button and has the squarish areas around the buttons is the Vyper 2.

There are 2 screws on the back that holds the compass module on. Take those 2 screws out and the compass should pull straight out. Then you should be able to see at least part of the top of the computer and the series name should be there.

You lot can’t stop yourselves, can you?

Who is going to be first to tell him he needs a BP/W?
Your comment made me chuckle but ... there is a recall by Suunto because of faulty pressure sensors. I've had two fail and I will never purchase another dive computer made by Suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom