Help identifying shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorlief

New
Reaction score
This video released to the media claims to show a Great White. However many features resemble a Mako? Any help in proper identification would be appreciated and how such id was made possible.

Video in question: Great White Shark Caught on Tape by two fishermen near Kaena point Makaha Hawaii January 12, 2012 - YouTube

A couple of pics: shark comparison.jpgshark comparison2.jpg

Thanks for your time.

It is hard to get a sense of scale, but from the size and apparent bulk of the shark, I would think it was a Great White. Mako sharks tend to be less than 10' and relatively slender.

Thanks for the replies so far. Seeing the shark from above I got the impression that it was a Great White. The girth of the shark, and the apparent broadness of the pectoral fins. However when the shark rolls over and bites at the propeller (the first picture I posted) the snout and head seem to be much more slender like a Mako. I also got the sense that it had long slender teeth.

When it rolls over and I look at the pectoral fins I do not see black tips (I thought all Great Whites do) but the shape does not seem to be consistent with a Mako shark's.

Haha not sure why but I really want to know for sure what it was.

Please keep the opinions coming.

Depending on whee you were, I wouldn't rule out porbeagle and salmon sharks. Their lesser known than mako's and great whites, but they are both shorter than a great white and bulkier than a mako. That doesn't really look like a Great white or a mako to me.

The footage is not mine but it was taken by a couple of fisherman in Hawaii so I doubt it's a salmon shark or porbeagle. They had just pulled in a 300 pound Marlin before this guy came around and started circling their boat. There are a couple of clip on youtube that get the shark from different angles. I posted one of them in my first post.

Ive seen this on another site.....I feel its a Mako. Actually - When I first saw it, I thought it was pretty clear that this is a Mako and they ABSOLUTELY get larger than 10 feet.......and are NOT always slender.

Wow, that's a big shark! It's so broad that from the dorsal side I thought it was a Great White. As soon as it rolled onto it's side it became clear that it was a Mako Shark. A really, BIG, Mako! Certainly the biggest I've seen. The dorsal fin is not quite right for a GWS and the snout is snout is too angular.

Mako without a doubt, though I was unsure until I saw the stills.

Back
Top Bottom