Help Identifying tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me figure out exactly what I got my hands on. (I'll try to get some pictures soon)

I picked up, among other items, a couple of tanks that I'm not sure what they are -

- Two steel tanks, no valves.
- Diameter seems to be less than a standard large cylinder, but bigger than an alum. 40

Both tanks have a couple layers of paint on them completely obscuring the markings - I carefully removed the paint on one tank
- this is what I found, and my guesses of what they mean:

ICC3AA2015 tank type, size, and pressure rating??​
45392E Serial Number??​
PST Presumably the tank was made by PST​
7@65+ The '@' symbol is in place of the actual symbol - I'm assuming that line is showing the birth date of the tanks to be July 1965.​

Each of the above markings are positioned one below the other.
There are a few Hydro stamps as well, but nothing else that seems to be from the manufacturer

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I also picked up a Voit Trieste double hose reg, with a low serial number, that looks brand new! (I haven't taken a look inside yet though - I'm new to double hoses)
(This is just an excitement statement - Not trying to brag :D - I'm hoping to find out if it is functional, and then decide if I want it as a wall piece, useful tool/toy, or sell it)

The tank is rated for 2015 psi plus 10% if it still gets a + from the next hydro. It was manufactured July 1965. Hard to tell what size without the measurements of the tank.

ICC3AA2015 tank type, size, and pressure rating??
ICC = governing agency is Interstate Commerce Commission
3AA = Seamless cylinder from Chrome Molybdenum Steel
2015 = rated fill pressure
45392E Serial Number??
Yes
PST Presumably the tank was made by PST
Yes, Pressed Steel Tank (PST)
7@65+ The '@' symbol is in place of the actual symbol - I'm assuming that line is showing the birth date of the tanks to be July 1965.
without seeing the tank and all marking, i think you are correct

I Have pictures now!

IMG_8992.jpg Area of neck with all the markings And before taking off the paint: IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8991.JPG Some other makings - Hydro's, I think

IMG_8995.JPG Comparing the tanks to an Al 80 (blue) and Al 40 (on the right)

IMG_8994.jpg Overall view of the tanks

I did some measurements as well:

Circumference = 19-3/4" Diameter = 6.3" (Based on Circumference measurement)

Length, no valve: 20" Approx.

Any further thougths, or suggestions on where I can get the specifications for older tanks, such as these??

Thanks!

They are smaller than steel 72. A steel 72 is 6.9 inches in diameter and about 23 inches tall.
Also the pressure is 2015 psi.

There were some tanks with that pressure (2015 psi) and the same size as a steel 72 that were actually more like a 70 cu ft tank, but these are smaller than that.

I am thinking SCBA tanks. Maybe from Survive Air which was a division of US Divers. Most steel SCBA tanks were 2015 psi.

Its likely they were not originally scuba tanks, they have flat bottoms. CO2 bottles maybe?? In any case I see no reason not to use them if they pass inspection.

As for the Trieste, I would guess it needs new mouthpiece valves and a duckbill but it is easily rebuildable. All the parts, information and special tools you need to service it are available - new reproductions, not old stock. Of all of the DH regs, it is likely the best looking but sadly also one of the worst breathing regs due to several design issues. There have been attempts made to improve it but so far no one that I am aware of has made a big dent in the design issues....yet... I have an idea or 2 but just too many other projects for now....but one day. :) Bottom line, it's a good looking, solid and dependable reg that can easily be put back in service but don't expect it to be a great performer.
As for sale value, it tends to be one of the higher end regs on ebay, low to mid $200s is in the range but like anything else on ebay is could sell cheap or go crazy.
One word of caution, some of the models had an internal J valve. The seats of those are prone to get brittle and shatter, sending bits into the reg. If yours has a J valve I would suggest you deal with it before diving the reg. If you need specifics we can go off on that tangent if you like, it's not a big deal but needs to be addressed.

I have one of these in the shop that we got on trade-in.

I measured it out to be an LP40.

the tanks prob. not dive tanks, they would be floaters as they have a 2015 psi working pres.the reg is easy it uses current mares parts as yoit went to mares hoes and duck valves google vintage scuba. I have one new in box!

Back
Top Bottom