Help:) leaving in two weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm newly certified. I haven't had time to search on here and leave soon for Egypt and Jordan. Sorry to ask! But can dolphins be seen in the wild off Sharm or Dahab? Or is Hurghada or Gouna the only place to pretty much guarantee it? I will be diving off the shores of Dahab for sure but I want my traveling friend to get a good experience snorkeling for the first time and I thought seeing dolphins in the wild would be the best! But im planning the logistics of getting from luxor to some dive site to then get back to Cairo. Since I know we will do the sinai, I was hoping we could see dolphins there and save time by not going to Hurghada this trip. But I feel Hurghada is a certain place to see them and Dahab is just a maybe. Oh and/or sharks would be bad ass too! sorry to be an ignorant newb. I planned the trip then decided to get certified and add scuba. I guess im basically asking, would it be better to save time and skip Hurghada or Gouna and do all diving and snorkeling out of dahab. Would only be shore diving unless there are one day boat trips. i dont have the time to research liveboards plus my friend doesnt scuba.

Thank you for any advice!

Rachel

Hello, Rachel.

I can only speak about Sharm: I've only ever encountered dolphins on three occasions over, perhaps, a dozen trips there. First, while travelling back from a dive site off the coast of Nabq. We were a small group riding a RIB and we were able to stop and observe the ONE dolphin for a couple of minutes until it swam away. Second and third times were very similar: while sailing on a day boat and a liveaboard, a pod of dolphins accompanied us for a short stretch. I would not entertain thoughts of snorkelling with dolphins in Sharm unless you choose to go to one of those infamous "dolphin shows" with captive dolphins, assuming they are still operating. I would strongly advise you not to, as it encourages a practice that is ethically dubious to say the least.

Sharks in the Sharm area are elusive. You can spot the odd white tip at Jackson Reef (Tiran) and, if you are lucky, hammerheads on the exposed side of that same site, in the summer months, weather permitting. But it is a deep dive and it seems you've only just qualified, so I would not expect a reputable dive operator to take you there.

If you set your mind on sharks & dolphins, Sharm might prove disappointing. However, it is an excellent base to dive Ras Mohamed, which is spectacular, especially in the summer months. I hope you have a fab trip.

Thank you!!! I'll be 100% happy even if i dont see any big wildlife. Just wanted to see where the better chance was :) and the best place for my snorkeling friend. Thank you for your advice!

Seeing both are for the lucky ones. Dolphins are more frequent to sharks but do not trust the tour operators giving you any guarantees to see them.
Recently some whale sharks sightings have been reported and a hammerhead seems to be around in Soma Bay/Marsa Shagra. But hey...
Have you ever considered looking for your first Octopus? you will be amazed...:D
In terms of snorkeling Sharm and Dahab will certainly be better than Hurghada (expect south of Hurghada i.e. Makadi Bay, Soma Bay).
If options are open, i would go for Dahab. Also because of the special vibe of that town. That may also better fit with your trip to Jordan (Petra?).

I would just go to Sharm and Dahab unless you have more than 10 days for diving. We looked for dolphins in the Hurgada area three or four times and have never seen them. The diving around Sharm and Dahab is wonderful, so you will love it regardless of whether or not you see dolphins. But I hope you do !

I have seen a lot of spinner dolphins in the month of May a couple of times on our way to Jackson Reef, the last time though was more than 10 years ago.

I saw a pond of dolphins on the way to Tiran this April. They just accompanied the boat for 2-3 minutes.

The "swimming with dolphins" show is sadly still being sold in hotels.

I think it is really random. There is a pod near a place called Shaab Ali. We tried to do a dive with them in 2019, but they were not interested and just passed by. An hour later, they came back and we snorkled with them. I had private leaping and spinning dive show by one a few feet away. It did it twice. The little twisting bubbles from the spinning leap looked like a helix and was phenomenal.

@Rachel Fallin congrats on your certifications and the big adventure!
There is also some fantastic diving in Jordan. I spend 7 months living there. PM me if you want some info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom