Help! Let's make a safety lock for the XTAR D26 1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This thread is actually more about asking for help than providing a solution...
Many like the XTAR D26 1600 flashlight but complain about it's safety lock

I quit using the 1600s for the same reason Rob said. The "lock" is nothing but holding down the power button for 3 seconds. That is not a lock. Mine get turned on by accident all the time.
How to choose the right torch

m26.jpg

The flashlight activates after pressing the main button for more than 3 seconds. Many complained about the flashlight turning on by itself during the dives. So, there must be a way to make some kind of additional safety lock. I think 3D printing could be the solution but I really have no idea from where to start since my experience in this is zero

Is the button o-ring sealed?
If so, it may be getting "pressed" by differential pressure during the dive.

Otherwise, a short length of appropriate-diameter plastic pipe slipped over the button area should protect the button from accidental contact.

I am not an owner (yet) of this flashlight, I ordered one but the seller refused my offer too low for them...
Anyway I think the plastic pipe could be the right idea. How do you press the button once it's covered by the piece of plastic pipe?
I was thinking of creating some kind of hard plastic gear to operate so that the button is covered and it can be pressed only if one operates the gear intentionally and leaves it open

Is the button o-ring sealed?
If so, it may be getting "pressed" by differential pressure during the dive.

Otherwise, a short length of appropriate-diameter plastic pipe slipped over the button area should protect the button from accidental contact.
A different angle may show why a sleeve is maybe not the best idea....the button seriously protrudes!
20201221_095417.jpg

A different angle may show why a sleeve is maybe not the best idea....the button seriously protrudes!
View attachment 631822
I was just about to say the same thing, the button needs a stronger spring and a shorter button, it’s a really nice light but mine stays home more often than not. Maybe some sort of flip up safety like a fire control on a fighter.

Rotating collar?

upload_2020-12-21_9-3-33.png

I also note that the button looks a lot like the one on their other light that does have a 90deg turn to lock out. Anybody taken the switch mechanism apart to see if it could work the same way?

(XTAR WHALE D26 L2 U3 (Switch upgrade) Diving Flashlight)

Can't you simply unscrew the head a little and disable to ability for the switch to activate the light? that is what I do with similar lights.
Yes, that works on mine, because it is only a quarter-turn or less to disable the light. That surely still seals well. But I don't know if that is true of all of them.

View attachment 631822
Wow! Yep, that was not apparent from the first photo.

[snip]
I also note that the button looks a lot like the one on their other light that does have a 90deg turn to lock out. Anybody taken the switch mechanism apart to see if it could work the same way?

(XTAR WHALE D26 L2 U3 (Switch upgrade) Diving Flashlight)
Maybe ask @XTAR if you can buy the lockout button and upgrade it yourself? It looks like the button is retained by the notched collar which may be just threaded in.

Maybe ask @XTAR if you can buy the lockout button and upgrade it yourself? It looks like the button is retained by the notched collar which may be just threaded in.

I contacted XTAR and asked let's see if/what they will answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom