help me choose my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish

Reaction score
I have read the previous thread on BC's. Help me narrow down my chocies.I am small to medium build with concern for my back.And I am also very short waisted.My check out dives almost drove me nuts because the weight belt sat on my hips most of the time and was quite uncomfortable.My guess is that I want an integrated system,although ,I have not yet dived with one.(Is that "dived" or "dove"??) I am not particularly chesty but the BC I used for my check outs constricted my chest uncomfortably at full inflation and tended to "ride up" as I swam.

Your candid comments are all appreciated!

I use the Diva QD from Seaquest. I am also short waisted, and any rental BC had a tendency to hit my butt with the back pack. Most women's BC's have a shorter backpack, and place it a little higher in the BC itself. The Diva Lux is nice, because it is partically back inflated, so it doesn't have the "squeez" that the Diva QD can have. It is also more money...but it is SWEET! The "sports bra" thing in the front really doesn't do anything if you have wear a wetsuit.

I've also dove with the Isla (AquaLung) which is nice..very adjustable..but I didn't like the velcro pockets. Bigger than the Diva QD..but I don't trust velcro.

Scubapro has the LadyHawk..which I haven't had a chance to dive with. The backpack still is a bit low for me..but it was fairly comfy.

That is what I have experience with..but there are many more options out there. Main thing, if you can try the BC on with your wetsuit, and a tank attached, that will give you a better idea of what it will feel like getting to and from the water.

Hope this helps!

Silverfish,

Go into several dive shops after promising yourself you won't buy anything that day. Try on every small and extra small BC they have in every shop. Try on those designed especially for women and try on those that weren't. Try on weight integrated, try on non weight integrated. See what's comfortable for you. IMHO, most people use BC's that are too big. A friend of mine was recently looking for a BC. I let her dive with one of the BC's I use for teaching. She loves it and now wants to buy that same BC. She was used to wearing a medium BC. The one she loves is the extra small Scubapro Sport. Everyone is different, you need to find what's comfortable for you.

Never strap the chest strap on any BC. They are not necessary and merely make a very nice BC uncomfortable.

Personally, I dislike weight integrated BC's. You may like them. They are difficult to work with while the weights are in the pockets and it's a pain to constantly remove and replace the weights. If someone needs assistance getting on the boat, I'm happy to grab their tank/BC and pull it on board so they can climb the ladder without that extra weight. If it's weight integrated I won't do it. You might consider a weight belt with soft weights. You may find that a more desirable choice.

Dived is preferred, but dove is acceptable. Dove is a recent addition to the English language having been invented by Walt Whitman in the mid 19th century. Of course, dove has been a bird for much longer.

WWW™

Silverfish..
I have had nightmares when it comes to any piece of gear - I am just a walking nightmare actually!

When I was at the dive show last year I ended up buying - well my dad ended up paying for ! - a Mares Frontier Expedition.

I am tall but have always found BC I have rented are uncomfortable on my lower back, under my arms (where I cant get the right size) and neck.

This BC has padding round the neck and arms for added comfort and intergrated weights. I have always found I have got back ache after diving but so far I havent with this.

The reason I didnt go for a BC made for a woman is because here you can add quite a bit to the price (i dont know what its like in the us).

Also, the BC I have you can adjust the tightness around the chest...which should relieve the pressure you'd feel.

I agree with Walter on this one tho - it is whatever you feel comfy with. It might be an idea to continue renting BC's - a different one each time, till you find one you feel your are comfy in and then buy one from the same range...diving in them for yourself is the only way you know what your happy with!

Good luck in your BC hunt -x-

Thanks for your input SB and Walter.I don't have many options on Dive shops,The one in our town is the only one in a 100 mi radius.So anything that might need servicing I would like to purchase here.Do BC's tend to need anything after you use them.I will look specifically into the models you mentioned and consider the options.I hate to go shopping for anything without some knowledge.

ScubaBaby thanks for your input.I had planned on renting BC's for a while and will see if my LDS ( which is quite small) has any womens rigs available and I guess:idea: I can call the dive shop in Destin where I am going to dive and see it they have any to rent I might be interested in.Hadn't thought of that before now.

Thanks you guys!!

Hi Silverfish!

I'm a small woman, rather short waisted and I just recently purchased a new BC. After months of looking and trying on and reading everything I could, I finally chose the Oceanic Isla. It's a weight intergrated BC made for women. Up till this past weekend I had been diving in an older model man's small Scubapro Classic BC. I tried Scubapro's Ladyhawk Bc in the pool and while it was very comfortable, I didn't like the back inflation on it. I dove in my new Isla for the 1st time this past weekend in the Gulf of Mexico and I LOVE it! It feels really good to have the wieght off my back (and in those weight pockets). The BC gave me plenty of lift and was very comfortable. I was really torn between the Scubapro Ladyhawk and the Isla. Scubapro makes really good equipment that lasts forever if well taken care of. But so far, I'm really happy with the Oceanic Isla that I purchased. I hope this helps

We're neighbors, small world eh? Thanks for your input.
All the info really helps,but, I fear it all comes down to one thing...What really works for you in the water.I am thinking that this is like buying shoes.How many times have you brouht home shoes thinking they felt great in the store...When are they gonna start feeing good in the real world??? I see no way around this other than to do what I am doing , research and do my best to try before I buy.

Hi sliverfish!
Yep! it is a small world. Anytime ya need a dive buddy, just let me know. *Grin*. AS far as the BC, ask your local dive shop if you can try the BC's in a pool or in a local fresh water dive. That's really how I finally made my decision. Fit and comfort are really important and trying on a BC on in the store in your st reet clothes just isn't the same as having it on over your wet suit and in the water. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right one for you.

~lildiver

I purchased a Genisis Athena today.Unfortunatly , try before you buy was not an option for me. As I mentioned before our dive shop is small and the only one for 100 mi. I did try on three different models and inflated them to full checking for "squeeze". The Athena felt the best.Here's hoping it is a decision I will be happy with.It is weight integrated and has a few extras.

Time will tell.

Lildiver, I would like to dive with you sometime.I am so new to this that I don't know much at all. That includes places to dive. I must admit I felt a little disappointed at "The clearest water in Ky.",in Cerulean.However, if that is the standard around here,so be it. I want to dive often and am interested in any sites you might know of.Maybe when the weather gets warm again we can get together.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Silverfish,

I'm sure you will be very happy with the Athena. It's gotten good reviews and those that I've talked to that have one really love theirs.

As far as diving in Creulean, I'm afraid all the quarries are about like that. I dive in Creulean quite a bit. There's another quarry close to Hopkinsville called Pennyroyale. It's not a bad dive...has deeper water and the temp below the thermocline is really chilly. Looking forward to buddying up with ya sometime.

~lildiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom