Help me choose my first rebreather Kiss Sidewinder vs Triton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong but from what I have seen posted elsewhere(cant remember atm), the SF2 is only CE'd in backmount configuration, not in sidemount. I suppose thats becuase there is a completely different hydrostatic performance in that position even though its the same machine.
That might very well be true. Its almost impossible to meet CE in SM

T Reb is CE somehow but no idea how they've done it.
Alchemy
My guess is that they fixed it to the mannequin so it stayed in a breathable orientation in all positions - but that might not be a realistic or common way to dive it. There's no CE oversight so not like we will see pictures or a report describing the test configuration

My guess is that they fixed it to the mannequin so it stayed in a breathable orientation in all positions - but that might not be a realistic or common way to dive it. There's no CE oversight so not like we will see pictures or a report describing the test configuration
The test setup to enable a SM unit to pass the EN14143 test requirements; all 52 odd of them would be quite interesting to see. Especially noting that for a lot of the requirements you need to test and publish the results in all orientations for the units technical file.

Why ever wouldn't the manufacturer publish pictures or reporting of the testing? How ever else will their customers be able to confirm the validation of the testing for themselves?

It is not as if there is anything confidential about the testing requirements for EN14143 or any other standard diving equipment needs to or at a very minimum ought to at least meet https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Safety_files/DV_DLOR_HydroImbal_101116.pdf

I could be wrong but from what I have seen posted elsewhere(cant remember atm), the SF2 is only CE'd in backmount configuration, not in sidemount. I suppose thats becuase there is a completely different hydrostatic performance in that position even though its the same machine.
Before you even consider the hydrostatic performance doesn't the SF2 only have a single 4.3L counterlung?

With that in mind it has to make the EN14143 requirement of "The apparatus shall be so designed as to provide sufficient breathable volume for the diver whilst in any attitude. It shall allow a tidal volume of at least 4.5L" quite interesting to observe the testing of! https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Safety_files/DV_OR_Tidalvolume_090911.pdf

Of course if one was to read the rather overly prominent CE labeling on the top of an SF2 there doesn't appear much disclosure of what particular EN14143 requirements it may or may not actually meet... or have even been tested to!

My 2 cents on the Triton, I'm newly certified (just last week, air diluent deco). It's my 1st rebreather, although I tried several.

Concerning your SM rig, you won't have any problem keeping it with the Triton, it's designed to be used with back mounted or sm mounted cylinders. Of the 4 guys training for the certification last week, I was the only one diving back mount. Why ? Just because I'm not SM certified, nor interested, yet.

The only thing is to get the Triton correctly set on your harness (not too high, not too low), it took us 2 or 3 dives for that, and make some adjustments for the routing of the various hoses. In the end, no big changes. Not altering too much a configuration you're comfortable with is a great relief to me.

Concerning trimix, our instructor dives it regularly on deep wrecks. That's how I first saw a Triton underwater and I was very impressed : not bulky, easy to set, to carry, to maintain...

And after a week diving with it : easy to use and to breathe on. Once again, my experience with rebreathers is limited, I'm not an expert, but so far, I'm very satisfied.

Someone mentioned CE (or EC for European Conformity) already. For me, it was an imperative. Almost 99% of diving centres in France will refuse to let you dive with a non CE rebreather. To the best of my knowledge, no Kiss rebreather, Side winder or other are CE compliant. So depending on your location and the countries where you want to dive, you must be careful.
A year on…. How are you getting on with the Triton? They seem like excellent units With very flexible configurations.

A year on…. How are you getting on with the Triton? They seem like excellent units With very flexible configurations.
Well, still very satisfied with it. Just on regret : not being able to dive as much as I'd like. Poor weather and family obligations. I'm close to 40h with the rig now, so I'm still stuck to air deco...

Totally forgot about Optima. The only thing I'm not super excited about it is that is eCCR I believe that's why I opted out from considering it but please feel free to change my mind if I'm wrong.
What do you mean by saying it scooters and spear fishes like crap?
If you don't mind me asking why do you think that Optima is better than Triton?

Regarding Sidewinder flooding, can you be more specific on how di you flood it etc?
It’s been over a year since I wrote this. I don’t remember what I didn’t like about the Triton, but it was significant. Is the Triton mccr? Because that would do it. I dive an Mccr, but eccr is way better :)

It’s been over a year since I wrote this. I don’t remember what I didn’t like about the Triton, but it was significant. Is the Triton mccr? Because that would do it. I dive an Mccr, but eccr is way better :)

Triton is mccr indeed, That's why I find it way better than any eccr, no problem with the electronic. When equipment is concerned, we all have different agendas, needs, likes and dislikes, and I think it's especially true when choosing a rebreather, that's why it's important to compare them, their pros and cons.

An example might help : many of my friends dive the Inspiration Evo, it's a good rig, but not for me.

Back
Top Bottom