Help me find a new place to live.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hot and dry?

How about somewhere close to the Red Sea?

When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Perspective informs conclusion. I suspect we as divers start looking for destinations where local diving is a good option, even though some of us (like me) don't live near a coast.

How important is local diving to you? If so, just salt water ocean diving, or are we talking wrecks in the Great Lakes, or caves, etc...? If local ocean diving is a big deal, outside California, seems like Florida or maybe North Carolina are obvious choices. Florida may not be dry, I don't imagine N.C. is hot all year.

Are you an urban, suburban or rural kind of guy? What is she?

Visited Albuquerque, NM with a buddy's family for awhile; hot and dry, oh yeah, but I don't like staring at Chaparral landscape too long - fairly flat, scrubby vegetation, bright and sunny (my eyes are light-sensitive)...it'd get old. Nice how people had gravel yards; not much mowing to do! Just rake your rocks.

Can you tell us about some places you guys considered and what you liked and didn't about them? Might help inform suggestions.

We only have a handful of states outside of California that have hot and dry parts: NV, AZ, NM, OK, UT, and TX.

These all have large area with low cost of living. In most rural areas in the US, real estate is absurdly cheap. How far are you willing to live from a major city/airport?

FL, the Gulf states and a lot of TX (but there's still plenty left) are hot and humid, which is not the same thing at all.

I’ve been to many other states, I’ll just stay right here in Cal. Only negative in my perspective is 40,000,000 people!

Maui is the only other place I would be interested in but not likely to happen.

Let's move to Egypt, not sure that's what he had in mind

Egypt, Beirut (huge party town), Istanbul (access to cheap flights), Aqaba, Yonbu, Jeddah, you name it. This, of course, if the dry heat is a must.

If you can handle humidity you've got all of SEA to play in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom